The Student Room Group

Staying On at College - Was the advisor right?

Hello
I stumbled across this site whilst looking for some clarity into a situation that my son has found himself in at the college he attends. He is nearing the end of his two years taking A levels in History, Drama and sports with a view to going in to primary school teaching or working with children in some capacity. To save a bit of time I’ll copy and paste my email to the Head of Learning and his reply below and I would appreciate some advice.
I have heard that the Head of Learning is a little difficult to deal with and that staying on is an option (why would an advisor to students advise on this if it weren’t true!) as I’ve been informed that others have done it in the past. It was suggested that funding might be the issue and as you can see my offer to resolve and work around the issue hasn’t been addressed.
So has anyone else had this issue? Can he stay on? I can’t seem to find any official documented answer online so would be more than happy to hear people’s thoughts before I go to the principal next week.
MY EMAIL
Over the last few months my son XXXXX and I have had the odd chat about his plans for the future following college etc. and pathways to achieving his aims and objectives.

Admittedly he was in a bit of a quandary as to what to do for the best and was considering taking a year out to regroup and refocus. However, we (his parents) were pleased when, following a meeting with an advisor/ staff member at the college he informed us that he had been told he could apply to do another course and further his education and qualifications at the college. As a parent I would rather that than have him languishing around for a year in limbo and I'm pleased that without any pushing or influence from me Ethan is/was relishing staying in the education system to better himself.

Then, the other day XXXXX presented us with the news that you had sent him a message following his application for the course in Education and Childcare stating that it wasn't possible.

This now presents a problem which, in my opinion, should be shared by the college with the hope that he can be assisted further. So is there a way in solving this problem? What is the advice now?

With no advice given to XXXXX n in your messages some advice would be gratefully received. Common sense resolutions / solutions off the top of my head could be -

1. The college honours its advice and allows XXXXX's application onto the course to continue.
2. XXXXX pays for the course. On the college website it states that there is a course fee which eludes to the fact that it can be paid for but it doesn't state how much the fee is. It also breaks down the listing for students under 19 and Over 19. So I'm querying as to why he can’t stay on as this leads me to believe that older students are accepted.

or,

3. If Option 2 is possible and because this is a shared problem not of XXXXX's making, any fees are reduced or met halfway.

More than happy to discuss this further

Regards

XXXXX

THE REPLY FORM THE HEAD OF LEARNING

Dear Mr XXXXXXX,

We only allow students to stay for a third year at college in very exceptional circumstances, usually to complete a course. The T level is a two-year course which we could not offer XXXXX as he will have already completed a full Level 3 programme. Can I ask who XXXXX spoke to about re-applying? I can confirm that no formal offer has been made to XXXXX regarding a re-enrolment. For XXXXX to enrol on another Level course would also not be in his best interests as it would represent an unnecessary sideways move

My advice would be that XXXXX consider a Level 4/5 programme to further his studies. Please do let me know when a good time would be to discuss XXXXX's options.

Best wishes,

XXXX

TO ADD My son can’t remember the advisors name and looking for Level 4/5 courses they seem very few and far between.

Quick Reply

Latest