The Student Room Group

Hello, potential mature student

Hello all
I'm thinking of doing a maths degree as a mature student. Although I'm 60, I do have some maths pedigree (a degree in physics + have mainly worked in research roles and have published papers). I'm keen to learn more about pure maths - we didn't cover abstract algebra, number theory, sets, topology etc in my physics degree.
Reply 1
Original post by iggy2uk
Hello all
I'm thinking of doing a maths degree as a mature student. Although I'm 60, I do have some maths pedigree (a degree in physics + have mainly worked in research roles and have published papers). I'm keen to learn more about pure maths - we didn't cover abstract algebra, number theory, sets, topology etc in my physics degree.

What sort of guidance are you looking for? Are you thinking a undergraduate degree or a masters?
Reply 2
Undergraduate level
Reply 3
Original post by iggy2uk
Undergraduate level

But what sort of guidance are you looking for? How to prepare? Where to apply? Are you applying in January 2024 or in a year's time?
Reply 4
Original post by iggy2uk
Undergraduate level

There's no age limit to learning though you may want to cross check with the university you are interested in. I think you can definitely go for it but better to be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest