The Student Room Group

Preparing for the course

Hello, I am going to apply for midwifery course next month (to start in 2024) and was wondering if anyone can recommend any books or literature to prepare for the personal statement / university interview ? I am applying as a mature student and already have a degree (non medical) that completed 10 years ago. So looking at more midwifery related literature rather then general “getting to uni” advice
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Ingagarrity
Hello, I am going to apply for midwifery course next month (to start in 2024) and was wondering if anyone can recommend any books or literature to prepare for the personal statement / university interview ? I am applying as a mature student and already have a degree (non medical) that completed 10 years ago. So looking at more midwifery related literature rather then general “getting to uni” advice
Thank you

Reading up on the NMC, any nursing things that have come up in the news (they may ask this in interviews and it comes across really well if able to talk about current affairs happening in the news), common conditions that may happen in pregnancy, the checks that are completed before, during and after pregnancy etc. If able to, maybe doing some volunteer work in your local hospital (you can then mention this in your personal statement and relate it back to its relevance. In your personal statement, talk about your work (your job) that you’re currently doing, as you may have many transferable skills, such as communication, team work etc. I hope this helps and I’m sorry it seems like word vomit x
Thank you

Anatomy and physiology of the human body by Ross and Wilson is ideal for you.

Concentrate your personal statement on midwifery, why do you want to be a midwife. Some stuff about yourself

Understanding the NMC code of practice
The 6 C's of nursing

If possible perhaps try and get a part-time weekend job as HCA/ auxiliary nurse on your local maternity unit which will give you insight on what midwifing is about. Also there's also MCA ( Maternity care assistant) which will be ideal if you have the chance to complete the course as this will teach you every about the midwife role and you are in watching the births side with the qualified midwife and you learn how they work in the operation theatres as part of MCA training. Plus there's opportunities for volunteering as well.

You'll understand that midwifery is the hardest degree to get into within the nursing fields available.
Each university that offers midwifery only have a limited numbers of potential students each year due to how competitive it is.

Best of luck

A newly qualified adult nurse.
Thank you

Hello @Ingagarrity

I hope you’re well. I’m a 3rd year student midwife at Coventry university! I would advise you to read up on NMC (Nursing & Midwifery Council): The Code & NHS 6Cs. If possible, try and find some job posts advertising a band 5 or band 6 midwife post and see the skills, roles & responsibilities they mention & see if you can make links between that and any transferable skills you have from your previous job(s) or degree!

Wishing you all the best,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending