The Student Room Group

Intrusive thoughts affecting my school life

In recent years I’ve had intrusive thoughts about bad things happening to people I love, relatives, friends etc. and I get urges where I have to pray for these things not to happen, otherwise I start to fear that they will happen to those people.
This happens a lot while I’m writing, working or typing things out by myself. I’ll often rewrite or cross out things purposefully and try to rewrite them without getting the bad thoughts in my head.
This had a quite large effect during my GCSEs, where I’d often pause to pray when I’d be writing an exam, so I’d end up not finishing or not doing as much work as I could have, while also getting some looks from others around me wondering why I’m praying during an exam. I did manage to push through this during GCSEs, but this problem has become larger with A-Levels.
Time is even more of an issue here and the stakes are far higher, and I really don’t know if I’ll have the mentality to ignore these thoughts or if I’ll give in.
It also happens during my revision, so I’ll often revise less or not want to write things down as I fear that I’ll get intrusive thoughts and get into a cycle of prayer.
I never told anybody about this issue apart from my mother, but with A-Level mocks being next week, I really don’t want to risk doing badly and I’m thinking whether I should go to the college counsellor and speak to them. I know that it’s most likely OCD, or religious/magical OCD which I’ve read about.
I would just like to ask if anyone else has experienced anything similar, and if going to the counsellor will help, perhaps they could put me for extra time or something similar?
I went through something similar but not quiet last year. I had the fear that if I had dirty dreams God would curse me and I would get pregnant. Yep. Feel free to laugh!
It made me hyper-religious and I prayed every single time a dirty thought started to creep into my mind. Of course it's not the same as worrying about your family's safety but I get the anxiety it can bring. Definitely talk to a counsellor. They might be able to guide you through all this and get to the root of the problem. Who knows, this OCD might be masking up something worse. So find help ASAP. I didn't have anyone to go to while I was going through it so I had to come to terms with it myself which really wasn't easy. I'm a lot better now though.
Best of luck!!!
Original post by OldestKnowsBest
I went through something similar but not quiet last year. I had the fear that if I had dirty dreams God would curse me and I would get pregnant. Yep. Feel free to laugh!
It made me hyper-religious and I prayed every single time a dirty thought started to creep into my mind. Of course it's not the same as worrying about your family's safety but I get the anxiety it can bring. Definitely talk to a counsellor. They might be able to guide you through all this and get to the root of the problem. Who knows, this OCD might be masking up something worse. So find help ASAP. I didn't have anyone to go to while I was going through it so I had to come to terms with it myself which really wasn't easy. I'm a lot better now though.
Best of luck!!!

I’m happy to hear that you’re doing better and everything’s okay. I get similar dreams and thoughts sometimes too, I just ignore them and remind myself that I don’t pick my dreams and they’re not my will or thoughts.
I’ll definitely speak to them when I get back to college.
Thank you!
You're so very welcome. I'm glad I could help or at the very least make you feel less alone.
I'm on the 366 Day Challenge: 2024 edition if you ever want to talk again!! See ya!
And best of luck!!
Original post by OldestKnowsBest
You're so very welcome. I'm glad I could help or at the very least make you feel less alone.
I'm on the 366 Day Challenge: 2024 edition if you ever want to talk again!! See ya!
And best of luck!!

I'll see you around!
Thank you so much, God bless!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
In recent years I’ve had intrusive thoughts about bad things happening to people I love, relatives, friends etc. and I get urges where I have to pray for these things not to happen, otherwise I start to fear that they will happen to those people.
This happens a lot while I’m writing, working or typing things out by myself. I’ll often rewrite or cross out things purposefully and try to rewrite them without getting the bad thoughts in my head.
This had a quite large effect during my GCSEs, where I’d often pause to pray when I’d be writing an exam, so I’d end up not finishing or not doing as much work as I could have, while also getting some looks from others around me wondering why I’m praying during an exam. I did manage to push through this during GCSEs, but this problem has become larger with A-Levels.
Time is even more of an issue here and the stakes are far higher, and I really don’t know if I’ll have the mentality to ignore these thoughts or if I’ll give in.
It also happens during my revision, so I’ll often revise less or not want to write things down as I fear that I’ll get intrusive thoughts and get into a cycle of prayer.
I never told anybody about this issue apart from my mother, but with A-Level mocks being next week, I really don’t want to risk doing badly and I’m thinking whether I should go to the college counsellor and speak to them. I know that it’s most likely OCD, or religious/magical OCD which I’ve read about.
I would just like to ask if anyone else has experienced anything similar, and if going to the counsellor will help, perhaps they could put me for extra time or something similar?

I would talk to the college counsellor and also your GP.Definitely a form of OCD It is a curse of a thing but you can learn ways of controlling it.I hope you can get some help soon
Original post by SeriouslyAtomic
I'll see you around!
Thank you so much, God bless!

Likewise
: )

Quick Reply

Latest