The Student Room Group

forgot to reference an image/ chart

alright kind of messed up 2k word essay had 1200 words down 15 minutes before it was due because I slept in missed referencing a image/graph because of the lack of time which is quite obviously my fault wondering what the consequences would be. Thanks in advance btw this is my first yr a uni
Reply 1
Original post by bk41n
alright kind of messed up 2k word essay had 1200 words down 15 minutes before it was due because I slept in missed referencing a image/graph because of the lack of time which is quite obviously my fault wondering what the consequences would be. Thanks in advance btw this is my first yr a uni

The good news is if you mess up in your first year, you learn and remember not to mess up in your final year with your dissertation project. The first year of uni is all about making mistakes and learning from them.

Regarding the word count, you should be about -10%/+10% near the word count. Some unis have it as 5%. Check the assignment specification. In my first year, word count didn't really matter as long as you were in the range. In my final year, I lost marks because of the word count.

Anytime you use a source, reference it. Anytime you say something factual, reference it. When I was studying humanities, my teacher at the time said to always check whether every 100 words or so I have at least 1 reference. In the science field, my professor said every time you mention a fact drop a reference. In my second year, I didn't cite where I got a certain diagram (it was obvious that I didn't create it) so my professor commented on it in my feedback and I wasn't able to get higher marks because of my citations.

Overall, based on my experience in my uni, I think that the consequences would mainly be a note written in your feedback that you haven't completed proper citations & havent met the word count. In the event that your grade for this paper is less than a D (40%), some unis will allow you to retake the assignment but this is subjective from uni to uni.
Reply 2
Original post by 6085
The good news is if you mess up in your first year, you learn and remember not to mess up in your final year with your dissertation project. The first year of uni is all about making mistakes and learning from them.

Regarding the word count, you should be about -10%/+10% near the word count. Some unis have it as 5%. Check the assignment specification. In my first year, word count didn't really matter as long as you were in the range. In my final year, I lost marks because of the word count.

Anytime you use a source, reference it. Anytime you say something factual, reference it. When I was studying humanities, my teacher at the time said to always check whether every 100 words or so I have at least 1 reference. In the science field, my professor said every time you mention a fact drop a reference. In my second year, I didn't cite where I got a certain diagram (it was obvious that I didn't create it) so my professor commented on it in my feedback and I wasn't able to get higher marks because of my citations.

Overall, based on my experience in my uni, I think that the consequences would mainly be a note written in your feedback that you haven't completed proper citations & havent met the word count. In the event that your grade for this paper is less than a D (40%), some unis will allow you to retake the assignment but this is subjective from uni to uni.

i managed to get my word count up to 1780 or so its expected to be 10% above or below so not too sure if thats okay hopefully it should be alright hanks for the advice considering its 4am lmao
Reply 3
Original post by bk41n
i managed to get my word count up to 1780 or so its expected to be 10% above or below so not too sure if thats okay hopefully it should be alright hanks for the advice considering its 4am lmao

No worries! You got it, mate. Keep up the great work you are doing and try your best to learn from this experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending