The Student Room Group

i just ended a close friendship.

i just ended a friendship.

they made a really badly timed joke as we were just starting to become friendly again (we had an argument previously, i messed up badly, and they also messed up badly).

the argument referenced was ugly. and it left us both very mentally drained. but, we wanted things to be civil and build one another's trust again.

but new years day took the cake. five minutes into the new year, i make an inoffensive, silly little joke i always do: 'wow, i haven't spoken to you all since last year!' (i know, it's terrible joke), followed a very quick response of 'let's keep it that way'. i feel like i'm being too sensitive but that hurt. steadily built things come crashing down in a matter of moments.

maybe i'm being too sensitive? i don't know.

sorry, just needed to rant.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
i just ended a friendship.

they made a really badly timed joke as we were just starting to become friendly again (we had an argument previously, i messed up badly, and they also messed up badly).

the argument referenced was ugly. and it left us both very mentally drained. but, we wanted things to be civil and build one another's trust again.

but new years day took the cake. five minutes into the new year, i make an inoffensive, silly little joke i always do: 'wow, i haven't spoken to you all since last year!' (i know, it's terrible joke), followed a very quick response of 'let's keep it that way'. i feel like i'm being too sensitive but that hurt. steadily built things come crashing down in a matter of moments.

maybe i'm being too sensitive? i don't know.

sorry, just needed to rant.

That was a bit of a harsh response - if this person is someone who you have valued previously and was genuinely a good friend to you before this mess had happened; call them up and talks things out sensibly - try not to be argumentative and just straight up ask if she wants to continue being friends or not - be blunt about it and don't mess around - but remember this is also your decision and that is totally valid. On the other hand, if she keeps being horrible like this and has been horrible for the past while, then it is truly better to cut her out of your life, it's a new year and nobody needs the toxicity right now during this fresh start.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending