The Student Room Group

I'm 20 and I can't cook or drive due to disabilities. Any advice?

I find it difficult learning to cook due to ocd fear of fire but also due to struggle with reading the instructions. I have dyscalculia as well which makes it hard to read numbers. I've also never driven a car before in my life due to a huge fear of crashing it and I can't memorise the guide to driving anyway. I really want to drive for the first time ever but I'm terrified from the news.
Reply 1
learning to cook isn't something that necessarily requires you to read instructions. do you have any family members who can show you how to cook a few basic things? it may also be worth checking out if there are any charities that do cooking classes - I have come across a few local ones on the past that do classes for people with mental health problems and disabilities.

have you had any professional help for your OCD and anxiety?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I find it difficult learning to cook due to ocd fear of fire but also due to struggle with reading the instructions. I have dyscalculia as well which makes it hard to read numbers. I've also never driven a car before in my life due to a huge fear of crashing it and I can't memorise the guide to driving anyway. I really want to drive for the first time ever but I'm terrified from the news.

Have you tried seeking help? It might seem extremely scary but it is a great first step. I have OCD too and was having a really hard time, barely staying alive honestly. But now that I am on meds and therapy (CBT is a life changer), life is looking up for the first time in a lot of years and I am genuinely doing great. Feel free to message me if you want to just talk or vent or anything

Quick Reply

Latest