The Student Room Group

Industry placements

How likely am I to be able to get onto an automotive/general engineering placement if I'm studying a physics degree? I've applied for physics MSci as I am very indecisive and want to keep doors open but I am interested in the automotive industry and know that experience would be invaluable for after I've finished my degree. Would I stand any chance at getting one of those placements?
Original post by helena.b103
How likely am I to be able to get onto an automotive/general engineering placement if I'm studying a physics degree? I've applied for physics MSci as I am very indecisive and want to keep doors open but I am interested in the automotive industry and know that experience would be invaluable for after I've finished my degree. Would I stand any chance at getting one of those placements?

Very unlikely if you're not studying engineering I'm afraid.
Original post by helena.b103

Hi @helena.b103,

It is more difficult applying to engineering placements without studying an engineering degree. I would recommend doing some research into internships/placements that interest you and see if they are open to physics students or STEM students in general. My go to resource for finding placements is the website Gradcracker, but I also recommend networking with professionals in automotive industry, try contacting your university careers team and see if your university has an industry connections with automotive companies or professionals.

I hope this helps, good luck with your degree and placement search.
Izzy
(LU Engineering Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest