The Student Room Group

opinions on flashcards

Hi, I'm wanting to make flashcards for my GCSEs for revision.
I'm not sure whether to make physical ones or make them online (which is quicker). I have heard that Anki is great, but I'm also aware that writing things out by hand can help you remember information better.

What are your opinions on this? Is it better to have physical flashcards?
Original post by lola825992350
I'm not sure whether to make physical ones or make them online (which is quicker). I have heard that Anki is great, but I'm also aware that writing things out by hand can help you remember information better.

What year group are you in? If you are in year 11 I would definitely recommend using online flashcards because it is so much quicker. There is very little difference between writing and typing in the grand scheme of things. Anki is also useful in terms of spaced repetition, which is possible with physical flashcards but it is easier if you get a computer to do it.

It's better to see what works for you, the pro of Anki is that you can download pre-made sets (saves a whole lot of time and tracks your active recall but there may be a lot of cards if they go into a bit to much detail, so may be best to keep an eye on the exam board specification to know what not to focus too much on) e.g. https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/120073256

You could trial Anki and make physical flashcards for the ones you're really struggling with (writing difficult concepts out can help it stick in your head)
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
What year group are you in? If you are in year 11 I would definitely recommend using online flashcards because it is so much quicker. There is very little difference between writing and typing in the grand scheme of things. Anki is also useful in terms of spaced repetition, which is possible with physical flashcards but it is easier if you get a computer to do it.

Ok thank you. I'm in year 10
Reply 4

Hi i am in year 11 and i recommend digital ones saves a lot of time more accessible and easier you can even read it on your way to the exam etc i recommend ankiapp which is a btec version of the real anki but i think its way better

Quick Reply

Latest