The Student Room Group

Sheffield vs Leeds vs Cardiff vs Bath vs Nottingham

Hi!

Received offers from Leeds, Sheffield, Bath, Cardiff, and Nottingham. I'm struggling. Can't decide 1st choice and insurance. Seeking insights from alumni or architectural professionals. I'm hoping to hear from individuals who have attended any of the universities mentioned above or have been in architectural industry in order to gain some insights.

I am seeking a dual program combining architecture design and engineering. I enjoy mathematics and design, with a stronger affinity for mathematics. Hence, I opted for BEng, BArch, BSc instead of BA Architecture. RIBA Part 1 accreditation is crucial for my path towards becoming a qualified Architect.

Leeds (Architecture MEng, 4 years, K1H1):
Pros
- Modules combine design+engineering
- RIBA part 1
- optional placement year course
- More greenery city
Cons
- Seems to have less prestige
- Slightly more expensive accommodation
- I don’t know too much about it

Sheffield (Structural engineering and Architecture, MEng, 4 years, HK21):
Pros
- Modules is combine design+engineering
- High ranking, which is appealing
- RIBA part 1
- cheap accommodation
- optional placement year
Cons
- worries about receiving less design-focused education compared to Leeds.
- The most disorganized communications in the process of reviewing my application. They lost letters with my portfolio twice, didn`t answered my questions in correspondence. I am afraid that this is a systemic problem at the university??

Uni of Bath (Structural and Architectural Engineering, MEng, 4 year):
Pros
- high selection admission (85% in mathematics)
- beautiful green city, campus, accommodation
- unique community in uni
- impressed by the friendliness of the professors at the offer day
Cons
- not certified by RIBA
- potentially high cost of living near London.
- poor modules of architecture design
- not from Russell Group

Cardiff (Architecture, MArch, 5 year, K100):
Pros:
- Modules offered are decent
- a shorter way to become a registered architect UK
Cons:
- no modules in physics and math, materials etc.

Nottingham (Architecture and Environmental Design, MEng, 4 years, K230)
- Modules is combine design+engineering
- RIBA part 1
- cheap accommodation
Cons
- Nottingham foundation course and architecture lectures left me disappointed.
- not best ranked??

I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions that could help me make an informed decision.
Original post by Deniz Buzzy
Hi!

Received offers from Leeds, Sheffield, Bath, Cardiff, and Nottingham. I'm struggling. Can't decide 1st choice and insurance. Seeking insights from alumni or architectural professionals. I'm hoping to hear from individuals who have attended any of the universities mentioned above or have been in architectural industry in order to gain some insights.

I am seeking a dual program combining architecture design and engineering. I enjoy mathematics and design, with a stronger affinity for mathematics. Hence, I opted for BEng, BArch, BSc instead of BA Architecture. RIBA Part 1 accreditation is crucial for my path towards becoming a qualified Architect....

The fact that you have stated ' RIBA Part 1 accreditation is crucial' seems to rule out Bath as an option (although it's worth noting here that Bath's K100 Architecture course is RIBA accredited and is seen as the most technical arch course in the UK as it prefers its entrants to have maths and physics A levels). Cardiff's architecture course does not require entrants to have maths or physics and it has a more creative focus. Architecture courses in general are design focused with a relatively small amount of maths content at around GCSE level.

Prestige and rankings can be discounted - they are all well respected unis so you need to focus on what the courses and locations offer you instead. Leeds and Sheffield appear to be your best options based on your criteria.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
The fact that you have stated ' RIBA Part 1 accreditation is crucial' seems to rule out Bath as an option (although it's worth noting here that Bath's K100 Architecture course is RIBA accredited and is seen as the most technical arch course in the UK as it prefers its entrants to have maths and physics A levels). Cardiff's architecture course does not require entrants to have maths or physics and it has a more creative focus. Architecture courses in general are design focused with a relatively small amount of maths content at around GCSE level.

Prestige and rankings can be discounted - they are all well respected unis so you need to focus on what the courses and locations offer you instead. Leeds and Sheffield appear to be your best options based on your criteria.

Thanks! I chose Sheffield ) .
Original post by Deniz Buzzy
Thanks! I chose Sheffield ) .

Hey!
Great to hear you chose Sheffield! Two of my housemates are Architecture and Engineering students here so if there are any Sheffield-specific questions that you think we can answer, feel free to send a message!
If not, good luck with it all and see you here in September!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending