The Student Room Group

Dropped out of medical school, now want to rejoin

Hi,
I dropped out of medical school due to extremely poor mental health. I had some family pressure before joining and tried talking to them about not joining medicine the summer before I started but was shut down and I ended up starting anyway. I think not being able to discuss it properly with my parents and getting the closure I needed really affected my mental health in first year. I didn't have any head space to think and dropped out before completing first year, I told the med department of my situation and they encouraged changing degree. I am now on my another degree at the same university.
Having thought about the whole situation now I really think I should have had more support with trying to stay on the course, as soon as I mentioned parental pressure the talk from the med school was leaving the course. I really don't think I would have made that choice if my mental health wasn't so poor and if I has better mental clarity. Medicine is something I would like to do.
I feel like I've ruined everything now though, what are the chances of me being allowed back in? Would I be able to appeal the decision and mention that my mental state wasn't appropriate for that decision then?
Really need some advice, thank you
Reply 1
Would really appreciate some advice on this, would any medics/ doctors be able to advise?
Have you spoken to your uni about this? I suspect you are unlikely to be able to go back but only your uni will be able to tell you for certain.
Reply 3
Original post by girl_in_black
Have you spoken to your uni about this? I suspect you are unlikely to be able to go back but only your uni will be able to tell you for certain.

I haven't yet but am planning to this week, I don't think there's much hope either but I'm desperately hoping there's some sort of 'loophole' considering you're meant to be given proper advice from both sides when considering dropping out of med school but I didn't really get much of the staying side
Reply 4
I suppose you could try and make some sort of argument on mental health grounds, if you weren't well at the time.
In the UK, once you are out of medical school, there is no going back in I'm afraid. At least that is my understanding of the situation. Suspending is always the better option, give yourself time and them come back.
Reply 6
Original post by ErasistratusV
In the UK, once you are out of medical school, there is no going back in I'm afraid. At least that is my understanding of the situation. Suspending is always the better option, give yourself time and them come back.

I know I really wish I had done that now, do you (or anyone else).know anything about whether my mental health circumstances could be used as extenuating circumstances or anything?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I know I really wish I had done that now, do you (or anyone else).know anything about whether my mental health circumstances could be used as extenuating circumstances or anything?

I can't say for certain but I'd be extremely surprised if they allowed you to re-join the programme. Also one of the first things other UK medical schools will ask is if you have ever attended medical school before, which they will know because the GMC is given your name before you even start the course.
Reply 8
Original post by AF2Dr
I suppose you could try and make some sort of argument on mental health grounds, if you weren't well at the time.

That's what I'm planning on doing but not sure whether they'd accept it and what the guidelines are on it
Reply 9
I can't say for certain but I'd be extremely surprised if they allowed you to re-join the programme. Also one of the first things other UK medical schools will ask is if you have ever attended medical school before, which they will know because the GMC is given your name before you even start the course.

Yeah I know it's pretty much ruled out for other medical schools which is why I was hoping for something with the med school I dropped out of
Yeah I know it's pretty much ruled out for other medical schools which is why I was hoping for something with the med school I dropped out of

All you can do is email them and ask I'm afraid.
Reply 11
All you can do is email them and ask I'm afraid.

Yeah thanks for the advice regardless, I emailed the admissions team on Friday and am hoping for a reply soon, but am planning to go into the med school to see if I can find someone to talk to this week if no reply
Reply 12
That's what I'm planning on doing but not sure whether they'd accept it and what the guidelines are on it

Yeah, I don't know, unfortunately. It might be best to seek legal advice.
Reply 13
Original post by AF2Dr
Yeah, I don't know, unfortunately. It might be best to seek legal advice.

Yeah I'll look into that too

Quick Reply

Latest