The Student Room Group

BTEC Choices (Aeronautical Engineering)

Hey,

I'm currently undecided on what to chose for Aeronautical Engineering. I'm achieving grade 5s in my subjects, but unable to do A-Levels (Originally planned to do maths, physics and engineering) as I'm on foundation. I'm just having trouble deciding what to do.

I was going to take a BTEC in Aeronautical Engineering alongside Maths due to an exception from the college, but was wondering if to just do an apprenticeship as that's what my cousin did with British Airways, or look for a college that accepts A-Levels?

Is anyone able to give advice?

Thank you,
Reply 1
Original post by iambenji
Hey,

I'm currently undecided on what to chose for Aeronautical Engineering. I'm achieving grade 5s in my subjects, but unable to do A-Levels (Originally planned to do maths, physics and engineering) as I'm on foundation. I'm just having trouble deciding what to do.

I was going to take a BTEC in Aeronautical Engineering alongside Maths due to an exception from the college, but was wondering if to just do an apprenticeship as that's what my cousin did with British Airways, or look for a college that accepts A-Levels?

Is anyone able to give advice?

Thank you,

What do you want to actually do as a career? Do you want to design planes or maintain them? Once you have figured that out, it might well inform the choices you have to make now. You probably don't need a degree to maintain planes as that is more of a practical mechanic background although you will need good literacy and maths skills. However, for the engineering side of things, a degree is likely very important.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
What do you want to actually do as a career? Do you want to design planes or maintain them? Once you have figured that out, it might well inform the choices you have to make now. You probably don't need a degree to maintain planes as that is more of a practical mechanic background although you will need good literacy and maths skills. However, for the engineering side of things, a degree is likely very important.

Good luck!

Design planes more than maintain them. I'm just wondering now if to go to the BTEC Aeronautical Engineering route alongside A-Level Maths or down the apprenticeship route. I still wish I could do A-Levels, unfortunately, but glad they're willing to make an exception for maths.
Reply 3
Original post by iambenji
Design planes more than maintain them. I'm just wondering now if to go to the BTEC Aeronautical Engineering route alongside A-Level Maths or down the apprenticeship route. I still wish I could do A-Levels, unfortunately, but glad they're willing to make an exception for maths.

So you will likely be aiming at a degree in Aerospace Engineering or similar and quite likely with a foundation year. Also look out for degree apprenticeships with the likes of BAE Systems, Airbus and similar. Be prepared for lots of hard work. In the meantime, do lots of research to make sure you are always heading in the right direction.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest