The Student Room Group

Engineering foundation year with no maths physics or chemistry alevel

Hi i am planning on doing a foundation year and applying through clearing 2024 for either civil engineering or mechanical engineering and my alevels are sociology, biology & psychology and i’m predicted A*A*A.
I was wondering if in the foundation year they bridge the gap between gcses and alevels FULLY. i’m not wondering if i can get in or not that’s another different thing, but in the foundation year do they teach you enough to fill in the alevel knowledge gap? for context i got 9s in chem and bio at gcse and 8s in maths and physics.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by hello123456780
Hi i am planning on doing a foundation year and applying through clearing 2024 for either civil engineering or mechanical engineering and my alevels are sociology, biology & psychology and i’m predicted A*A*A.
I was wondering if in the foundation year they bridge the gap between gcses and alevels FULLY. i’m not wondering if i can get in or not that’s another different thing, but in the foundation year do they teach you enough to fill in the alevel knowledge gap? for context i got 9s in chem and bio at gcse and 8s in maths and physics.

Bump
Bump

Hi there , It's great that you are interested in studying engineering . I can only speak to our engineering year zero program and hopefully this will apply to some of the other foundation programs offered by other universities . The foundation year teaches all the basics that you will have missed in A level , however you do need to have maths GCSE's at a level 5 at the least and you already have that so that will not be an issue. I would advise you to apply to year zero programs if your interest is in studying engineering , with your current predicted grades you shouldn't struggle to get an acceptance .

I hope this helps .
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
Reply 4

You will cover the parts of A level that are relevant to Engineering. Do remember that most Foundation years are specific to that university and you cannot usually move for the degree itself.
Bump
Hi there,

Foundations years are there to fill in the relevant information you may have missed so I would say that they would appropriately bridge the gap for you and you can go onto study engineering following. You do need to have at least a 5 in GCSE maths but I can see you have already achieved this.

Usually foundation years are followed by studying at that specific university for the chosen course so make sure you look into which you may want to attend in the long run or which others accept foundation years as requirements should you want to switch.

Good luck,
Sophie (uni of Bath)

Quick Reply

Latest