The Student Room Group

Geophysics degree, I don’t take maths for a level, as most unis are asking for maths

Can I study a geophysics degree and take a foundation year in maths, as I take Geography, Physics and Economics but not maths.
Original post by Luca2
Can I study a geophysics degree and take a foundation year in maths, as I take Geography, Physics and Economics but not maths.

It's unlikely. I haven't found an undergrad degree in geophysics that has an integrated foundation year. The closest thing that I have found is an integrated foundation year in Earth Sciences at Liverpool.

Personally, as it's only Maths that you're missing, I would recommend you spend a gap year doing the A Level instead of doing a foundation year. This is because:

It's significantly cheaper (£250-1000 vs £9k)

You get to more options with which universities that you go to after getting the A Level

You get to focus on studying one A Level in one year, which you can technically cover material in your own time (hopefully in a few months with another few months for revision).

Doing one A Level is typically less intensive than doing a foundation year (I think)

Note: I was scratching my head when I read that you did Economics but not Maths. I was further baffled by the fact that you took up Physics on top, but still no Maths.
Yeah, southampton has a foundation year for their geophysics course.

Alternately you could look at geology courses.
Original post by artful_lounger
Yeah, southampton has a foundation year for their geophysics course.

Alternately you could look at geology courses.

Hey,

Can I check with you that there is a foundation year for geophysics at Southampton? I was looking at the following page and I couldn't find it: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/foundation-years/engineering-physics-maths-geophysics.page

The uni tends to take their time updating their website, so I might be looking at an older page.
Original post by MindMax2000
Hey,

Can I check with you that there is a foundation year for geophysics at Southampton? I was looking at the following page and I couldn't find it: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/foundation-years/engineering-physics-maths-geophysics.page

The uni tends to take their time updating their website, so I might be looking at an older page.

Oh interesting...the engineering/physics foundation year used to also lead to the geophysics course but no longer seems to do so formally: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/foundation-years/engineering-physics-maths-geophysics.page

I suspect informally one could switch but it may cause SFE issues.

Interestingly the URL still states geophysics.

Edit: also the course/programme outcomes document also states geophysics as an option.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
Sadly it looks like Southampton have discontinued their geophysics degree. Might be worth dropping them an email to check this, and see if it might be reinstated next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending