The Student Room Group

Mature student considering an MA in Classical Civilisation/Culture

Hi. I'm interested in starting this course, and would really like to hear other peoples experiences. The Good and the bad. The only courses I think might realistically work for me are at Birkbeck University or The Open University, but I'd be interested in any advice at all! Thanks
If you know your stuff then go for it, if you are starting from the very beginning, then I would advise learning at undergraduate or even A level first. Assuming your a prospective MA with experience, then its really the pros and cons of what works for you.
Reply 2
I am a mature student and read Ancient History at St Andrews and I’m now reading Roman History at Oxford (Masters). I’d say go for it, there’s only things to gain. When I started my back to uni journey I was pretty unsure too, and I can tell you without a doubt, that it has been the best decision I’ve ever made. Just be very open minded about it and you will be fine.
Why not? I did a Greek language module with the OU more or less on a whim and now am trying to get an undergraduate degree finally in some kind of ancient languages angle :biggrin:

I think @PinkMobilePhone was doing classics with the OU at some level (not sure if undergrad or masters? Or both?) and might be able to give some more insight. Unfortunately the Greek module I did with the OU was withdrawn (the year I did it was the last year), unless it's been brought back, so I can't give too much insight into their course specifically.

Note also UCL has a CertHE programme and the opportunity to take life learning modules through them, at the undergraduate level - including language modules, if you wanted to develop some background in that. They are the same courses taken by undergraduates though so can be scheduled any time Mon-Fri between 9 and 6 so if you have work commitments that may not be feasible. You can see more here though: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/classics/open-days-outreach/life-learning-and-certificate-higher-education-classical-world
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Why not? I did a Greek language module with the OU more or less on a whim and now am trying to get an undergraduate degree finally in some kind of ancient languages angle :biggrin:

I think @PinkMobilePhone was doing classics with the OU at some level (not sure if undergrad or masters? Or both?) and might be able to give some more insight. Unfortunately the Greek module I did with the OU was withdrawn (the year I did it was the last year), unless it's been brought back, so I can't give too much insight into their course specifically.

Note also UCL has a CertHE programme and the opportunity to take life learning modules through them, at the undergraduate level - including language modules, if you wanted to develop some background in that. They are the same courses taken by undergraduates though so can be scheduled any time Mon-Fri between 9 and 6 so if you have work commitments that may not be feasible. You can see more here though: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/classics/open-days-outreach/life-learning-and-certificate-higher-education-classical-world

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have in fact started the course, and I am really enjoying the challenge. I'll have a look at the UCL information, I hadn't heard of that and it's something that might be interesting for the future.
Original post by LisaFGS
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have in fact started the course, and I am really enjoying the challenge. I'll have a look at the UCL information, I hadn't heard of that and it's something that might be interesting for the future.

Ah lol sorry I didn't see the original date of posting! Hope you are enjoying it :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Ah lol sorry I didn't see the original date of posting! Hope you are enjoying it :biggrin:

No sorry needed! I've looked at the link and it's definitely something I'd be interested to do after this.
Original post by LisaFGS
No sorry needed! I've looked at the link and it's definitely something I'd be interested to do after this.

It is a neat programme they offer - even outside of the formal qualification route just being able to audit individual modules through the life learning scheme is a great access thing (albeit can get expensive in the long run!).

Also the Hebrew & Jewish Studies department at UCL has a similar life learning scheme for studying individual modules (I think it's called "continuing education" there), and they offer options in e.g. Akkadian, Sumerian, Biblical Hebrew, Aramaic and such, and history and literary modules in related time periods too (as well as more contemporary periods) too :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending