The Student Room Group

Glasgow Vs Durham for UG Classics?

I have received offers from both the University of Glasgow and University of Durham. Which is best to study Classics in?

Side note: I am a massive fan of older architecture and like the whole vibe of studying and being able to freely walk around old buildings + massive bibliophile
Reply 1
Well…waiting for both here having applied in late November. Did you go to open days? Durham was impressive, if you like the college format. Glasgow course gets a great rep. And Glasgow is such a fun city to live in. Hard to choose. I hope I gets offers from both. Did you receive conditional offers? What grades did you have and are you contextual? (I am, for Glasgow).
Original post by Cicero4325
Well…waiting for both here having applied in late November. Did you go to open days? Durham was impressive, if you like the college format. Glasgow course gets a great rep. And Glasgow is such a fun city to live in. Hard to choose. I hope I gets offers from both. Did you receive conditional offers? What grades did you have and are you contextual? (I am, for Glasgow).

I have a conditional offer to study History + Classics at Glasgow, I have ABBC at higher, a pass at advanced higher units and am currently studying social sciences at HNC in college :smile:
Reply 3
Glasgow for research quality and student satisfaction, Durham for graduate prospects. Source: www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk .
I wouldn't base just on graduate prospects as Durham has a high private school intake (about 39%, second only to St Andrews on about 40%) and their prospects may have been aided by the school they went to. Glasgow's percentage of private school intake is approx 16% - will almost certainly be more than that anyway for a subject like Classics.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending