The Student Room Group

Undergraduate Mathematics

Ok guys, I love maths and i'm thinking of taking it for an undergraduate degree, the only thing putting me off though is the part where you use python and SQL and basically all the programming stuff. I have no idea about any of that stuff, I last did it in year 9 and I hated it and didn't understand. Can anyone give me advice as to whether to do this degree or not? thanks
Original post by aryystfyvsxf
Ok guys, I love maths and i'm thinking of taking it for an undergraduate degree, the only thing putting me off though is the part where you use python and SQL and basically all the programming stuff. I have no idea about any of that stuff, I last did it in year 9 and I hated it and didn't understand. Can anyone give me advice as to whether to do this degree or not? thanks

Hi!

It's great to hear you are interested in a maths degree - I have really enjoyed mine over the last few years! In most courses, they will start teaching programming from the very beginning as if you have no previous knowledge (unless you are taking a maths and computer science joint honours degree where they may expect more knowledge). I had no programming experience before starting my degree but they introduced programming in the first year starting with the basics and then building up from there throughout the degree so I never felt behind. There are also lots of resources online to help with learning programming so there is plenty of support available if it is something you struggle with!

I hope this helped put your mind at ease about the programming aspects of maths degrees! 🙂
Florence (Lancaster University Maths student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest