The Student Room Group

Is it possible to not take the additional maths exam

Hi, I am currently doing additional maths at school. Not by choice, everyone in top set at my school was put into additional maths and there wasn’t really much option to drop out. I’m not going to take anything math related for alevel and I feel like if I take the exam it’ll just take away revision time from my GCSEs. It’s also way later than all my other exams and my family wants to go on holiday as early in the summer as we can. It’s a level 3 qualification and I just feel like it’s wasting my time, I would have dropped out if I could. I’m going into y11 so it’s too late to drop it but I was just wondering if it’s possible to not take the exam or if I have to.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by zziawoo
Hi, I am currently doing additional maths at school. Not by choice, everyone in top set at my school was put into additional maths and there wasn’t really much option to drop out. I get 9s in gcse maths, which was taught fully in y10 before we move onto additional maths in y11, but I’m not going to take anything math related for alevel and I feel like if I take the exam it’ll just take away revision time from my GCSEs. It’s also way later than all my other exams and my family wants to go on holiday as early in the summer as we can. It’s a level 2 qualification and I just feel like it’s wasting my time, I would have dropped out if I could. I’m going into y11 so it’s too late to drop it but I was just wondering if it’s possible to not take the exam or if I have to.

You're best talking to your school to see if there's a way to do it without the exam showing on your grade slip otherwise it could cause issues later. Have you asked your school about it and explained your situation?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by brainzistheword
You're best talking to your school to see if there's a way to do it without the exam showing on your grade slip otherwise it could cause issues later. Have you asked your school about it and explained your situation?

I asked if we had to take the exam at the start of y10 and my teacher said that they couldn't force us to take it but also basically guilt tripped me by saying stuff like 'oh but if you don't take it then you're taking the place of someone else who could have done it instead', which I find so stupid because I never wanted to take it.

What do you mean by grade slip? like my report? Additional maths isn't a separate subject on the report, it's just maths. But I was wondering, if I take the exam and get a bad grade, do I have to have it on my university applications? it's a level 3 qualification so idk if it has to be shown or not
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by zziawoo
I asked if we had to take the exam at the start of y10 and my teacher said that they couldn't force us to take it but also basically guilt tripped me by saying stuff like 'oh but if you don't take it then you're taking the place of someone else who could have done it instead', which I find so stupid because I never wanted to take it.

What do you mean by grade slip? like my report? Additional maths isn't a separate subject on the report, it's just maths. But I was wondering, if I take the exam and get a bad grade, do I have to have it on my university applications? it's a level 2 qualification so idk if it has to be shown or not

Sorry, by grade slip I meant your results report i.e. the list of your grades on results day. The only reason I mentioned it is, as you suggest, I think it would appear in the list as it will be logged against your student number and therefore be shown as an exam you've taken but not done so well in. Could you ask your teacher that, if you're 'not forced' to take it (i.e. you don't), will it show up when you get your results?
Original post by brainzistheword
Sorry, by grade slip I meant your results report i.e. the list of your grades on results day. The only reason I mentioned it is, as you suggest, I think it would appear in the list as it will be logged against your student number and therefore be shown as an exam you've taken but not done so well in. Could you ask your teacher that, if you're 'not forced' to take it (i.e. you don't), will it show up when you get your results?

thanks, I'll ask when I go back in September:smile:
Original post by zziawoo

Let us know how you get on :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by zziawoo

Get your parents to write in - there is no requirement to take this exam. Most schools don;t do it precisely because it takes time away from other subjects

Quick Reply

Latest