The Student Room Group

I am in need of a predicted grade and a reference.

I have a place at a private centre for a level maths but they said they cannot give predicted grades anymore. Also, i do not have a referee as i am self studying. I have considered sending in my application without a reference, but im not sure if that would work. The last time a teacher has taught me in maths was for GCSE's but i reckon thats not good enough for a referee. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but my school has said the predicted grade needs to come from the exam centre. I'm wondering how can i get a predicted grade, where my school cannot give me one nor my exam centre. Thank you.
Your school should be able to provide you with a reference. A reference without a predicted grade would be quite common and accepted by most universities. The majority of universities will not accept an application without a reference.

Have you spoken to your school about them providing a reference? Many schools will happily provide a general academic reference and also explain that you are self studying. Most will also be happy to explain that they can’t provide a predicted grade but that they know that you are aiming towards a specific grade.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Your school should be able to provide you with a reference. A reference without a predicted grade would be quite common and accepted by most universities. The majority of universities will not accept an application without a reference.

Have you spoken to your school about them providing a reference? Many schools will happily provide a general academic reference and also explain that you are self studying. Most will also be happy to explain that they can’t provide a predicted grade but that they know that you are aiming towards a specific grade.

Thanks for replying.

I thought that a reference needed to be from someone which knows your academic abilities. I have asked a teacher for one but they declined and said that they don't know how im doing at school. I have asked my exam centre to take a test for my future referee to maybe give me a predicted grade on. Or at least let them know how im doing at school. I'm still waiting for a responce though.
Original post by zakiteru
Thanks for replying.

I thought that a reference needed to be from someone which knows your academic abilities. I have asked a teacher for one but they declined and said that they don't know how im doing at school. I have asked my exam centre to take a test for my future referee to maybe give me a predicted grade on. Or at least let them know how im doing at school. I'm still waiting for a responce though.

When did you leave school?
What qualifications do you have in addition to the maths A level?

It's not clear from your reply whether you've asked your school for a reference or not (and by that I mean the main office/UCAS lead not just a random teacher)
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
When did you leave school?
What qualifications do you have in addition to the maths A level?

It's not clear from your reply whether you've asked your school for a reference or not (and by that I mean the main office/UCAS lead not just a random teacher)

I left high school in August of 2022.
I'm a 2nd year taking Computer Science and double business BTEC.
I have asked my GCSE maths teacher and another which somewhat know in my current sixth form.
I have also considered taking a gap year to organise my life better and receive a better offer potentially.
I will try asking the department in my school, but is this really enough for a reference?
I left high school in August of 2022.
I'm a 2nd year taking Computer Science and double business BTEC.
I have asked my GCSE maths teacher and another which somewhat know in my current sixth form.
I have also considered taking a gap year to organise my life better and receive a better offer potentially.
I will try asking the department in my school, but is this really enough for a reference?

oh right - so you're currently in sixth form (this is what I thought you were talking about when you talked about school)? Then they can provide you with a UCAS reference and include a note explaining why they can't provide a prediction for your Maths A level and what grade you're personally working towards.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
oh right - so you're currently in sixth form (this is what I thought you were talking about when you talked about school)? Then they can provide you with a UCAS reference and include a note explaining why they can't provide a prediction for your Maths A level and what grade you're personally working towards.

Thanks, I understand my situation a bit better at least.
Lastly, how would this impact my application to unis?
Do you have experience with this type of thing?
Thanks, I understand my situation a bit better at least.
Lastly, how would this impact my application to unis?
Do you have experience with this type of thing?

It depends on the universities - if you ring them and ask them if you apply without a predicted grade for 1 of your A levels because you're sitting it privately they'll be able to explain if it's a problem or not.

Where I've worked it wouldn't matter at all but a small handful of universities are snooty and weird about predicted grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending