The Student Room Group

I am really panicking

I am really struggling on what I should do.

I am currently in uni studying pharmacy but I honestly don't know if I like the course anymore. I am very science driven and pharmacy is quite clinically dominant in comparison to actual science. I chose pharmacy because I thought it was a transferrable degree that isn't predominatly based on a career as a community pharmacist.

Well I was wrong. Apparently pharmacy doesn't even pay that well and apparently its a mudane profession from what I have researched online.

I applied to ucas to study mechanical engineering because I am also good at maths. Apparently its a very transferrable degree and it pays better than the average pharmacist.

I wanted to get into patent law or software engineering but apparently these professions are really hard to get into and I can't find any information regarding internships or summer schemes at all.

I am really panicking and its really taken a toll on my mental health. I am literally anxious everytime I think about this dilemma.

I don't know what to do.

I am currently in first year.
Hello.

It's really good that you're thinking about your future but money should never be your main drive. I know a few people who studied engineering degrees and they turned out to be miserable. Rather than money, it's important to understand whether you are passionate about your fields of study. Do you like crafting and building things or working with drawings or 3D CAD software? If not then it's probably not a good degree to do. At the end of the day it's all about your passions and interests and that should form your final decision. I know that things can get tough at uni especially when you are feeling lost but I hope that you will be happy with whatever decision you make.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by controltower
Hello.

It's really good that you're thinking about your future but money should never be your main drive. I know a few people who studied engineering degrees and they turned out to be miserable. Rather than money, it's important to understand whether you are passionate about your fields of study. Do you like crafting and building things or working with drawings or 3D CAD software? If not then it's probably not a good degree to do. At the end of the day it's all about your passions and interests and that should form your final decision. I know that things can get tough at uni especially when you are feeling lost but I hope that you will be happy with whatever decision you make.

Good luck! :smile:

I can't confidently say that I dislike or like anything about enigneering - because I haven't done anything engineering related before. From what I can see in terms of job prospects and what roles entail - such as being a patent attorney, or finance, I think I will end up liking the degree.

Quick Reply

Latest