The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Mechanical Engineering (MEng) Interviews @ Imperial College London

So, I applied to Imperial for MechEng on the 20th of October 2023. I had my admissions test in early November but I’m still waiting to hear about interviews with the department.

Does anyone know when they let people know if they do/don’t have an interview. The longer I wait the more it seems unlikely.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
So, I applied to Imperial for MechEng on the 20th of October 2023. I had my admissions test in early November but I’m still waiting to hear about interviews with the department.

Does anyone know when they let people know if they do/don’t have an interview. The longer I wait the more it seems unlikely.

I did my admission test the same day as yours. Had my interview in December and now have an offer.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Hi, I applied November 20th. No news at all.,,

I think they give their interviews on a rolling basis, and their rejections are all at the end of March. I applied in October and haven't heard anything either... hopefully they will be interviewing larger batches after the January deadline.
Reply 4

Had my mech eng interview earlier this month but my mate got his chem interview before oxbridge interviews. I don’t think their is any pattern it is just very random.
Original post by c17ag1
I did my admission test the same day as yours. Had my interview in December and now have an offer.

Fair play. 👏🏼
Reply 6

what was the admissions test like ? going to take it soon.
Original post by abzzzolute
what was the admissions test like ? going to take it soon.

The questions were mostly on AS level physics and maths. There was Circular Mechanics included as well. Some common sense mechanics questions as well but nothing you shouldn’t know already. The list they gave me was comprehensive enough. I recommend going through some Cambridge engineering entrance test questions beforehand as the format is similar.

Don’t take too long on the easier questions though.
Reply 8
Original post by frankywafer123
The questions were mostly on AS level physics and maths. There was Circular Mechanics included as well. Some common sense mechanics questions as well but nothing you shouldn’t know already. The list they gave me was comprehensive enough. I recommend going through some Cambridge engineering entrance test questions beforehand as the format is similar.

Don’t take too long on the easier questions though.

Preciate that, was there by any chance a physics materials question like Young’s modulus/stress and strain and was there a question about a boat engine ?
Just had my interview. It started off great with about 15 mins of conversation but then I got aproblem and tried 5 or 6 methods and kept needing to be put back on track and get hints until theinterviewer eventually ran out of time. I got around 80 percent in the admissions test and predicted4A*’s and A at A-level. Has it all just gone out of the window?
Sorry to hear that your interview didn't go as well as expected, maybe the interviewer intentionally asked a difficult question and just wanted to see your thinking process? Also, may I ask what score did you get on the test? I got 14/18 and still haven't received an interview invite yet, so I'm getting a bit worried...
Original post by Anonymous #2
Sorry to hear that your interview didn't go as well as expected, maybe the interviewer intentionally asked a difficult question and just wanted to see your thinking process? Also, may I ask what score did you get on the test? I got 14/18 and still haven't received an interview invite yet, so I'm getting a bit worried...

Same score as you. My friend got the same score too but still hasn’t got an interview so it’s probably not an issue
Original post by Alimaster2677
Same score as you. My friend got the same score too but still hasn’t got an interview so it’s probably not an issue

Do you remember the questions that came up?
Original post by abzzzolute
Do you remember the questions that came up?

My test won’t be the same as yours but it was mostly simple mechanics with some large scale estimation like how many ping pong balls would fit in a car. They weren’t difficult but it shows who can be consistently good in their answers.
The email from Imperial is quite unclear. Do I need a camera while im doing my test.
Original post by AP20061327
The email from Imperial is quite unclear. Do I need a camera while im doing my test.

Are you asking for the admissions test? If so, then you don't need a camera. You just need to upload a pic of your working and calculator afterward.
Original post by A Lump of Floof
Are you asking for the admissions test? If so, then you don't need a camera. You just need to upload a pic of your working and calculator afterward.

Yeah for the admissions test. so I can use the physics equation sheet im assuming
(edited 2 months ago)
Yeah for the admissions test. so I can use the physics equation sheet im assuming

You're not supposed to. But not like they will know
Alright thanks. Equations aren't as bad tbf
Alright thanks. Equations aren't as bad tbf

If you don't mind, when is the written test? I did mine in November but haven't heard back yet, so I'm just anxiously praying that they will give out a big batch of interview after this Feb test.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending