The Student Room Group

Year 11 who wants to study Aerospace Engineering

Original post by Radsxoxo12
Same I was accepted 5 days ago!

Hi! I'm in year eleven I'm currently studying Maths, English Lit, Lang and Triple Science so Bio, Chemistry and physics as well as Design Technology, Geography, French and DT. I want to get into Aerospace Engineering and I was wondering which route is the best to take a degree or apprentechip. I've been thinking of maybe trying to get an Masters in Engineering at Imperial Collge London so I an go to university and commute from home saving costs for the first year then if my girlfriend got into imperial college London or any univeristy even though she wants to do a different course we could hang out a lot as well. I wanted to know the feasibility of all of this and any tips you have to get myself into aerospace engineering and also give me the best prospects and job opportunities in England and also abroad after university.
Reply 1
Original post by Elliot123456
Hi! I'm in year eleven I'm currently studying Maths, English Lit, Lang and Triple Science so Bio, Chemistry and physics as well as Design Technology, Geography, French and DT. I want to get into Aerospace Engineering and I was wondering which route is the best to take a degree or apprentechip. I've been thinking of maybe trying to get an Masters in Engineering at Imperial Collge London so I an go to university and commute from home saving costs for the first year then if my girlfriend got into imperial college London or any univeristy even though she wants to do a different course we could hang out a lot as well. I wanted to know the feasibility of all of this and any tips you have to get myself into aerospace engineering and also give me the best prospects and job opportunities in England and also abroad after university.

Hi
I assume that you are just starting year 11? You are planning well into the future, which is ok , but bear in mind situations change over 3 years. Your best bet in achieving your goal is to get the best grades that you can in your GCSEs and then take Maths, further maths and physics at A level. Good luck. Don’t stress to much about your degree at the moment though 😊
hello Elliot :smile:

it's amazing that you are planning your future. i don't have advice, but does someone at your school know how to help you?
Original post by Elliot123456

Your still early days.

I recommend the traditional degree route over the apprenticeship route to academically strong students, why? Because the apprenticeship route will pigeon hole you to a greater degree - the degree apprenticeships typically lead to the design, manufacturing & quality engineering positions (and if this is the areas of engineering you want to work the degree apprenticeship is great), however other areas particularly on developing technologies, concept solution & development still really require a full MEng.

As a general rule:
The degree apprenticeship & beng/meng pathway leads to technology integration roles. Whereas the technology evolution & innovation positions still are really filled with meng graduates. So it’s just a case of leaving more opportunities open - but if you want a role in manufacturing or design then the degree apprenticeship is still an excellent route.
Reply 4
Original post by beautifulworld
hello Elliot :smile:

it's amazing that you are planning your future. i don't have advice, but does someone at your school know how to help you?

I don't really have much people to help me at the moment at school no

Quick Reply

Latest