The Student Room Group

Unusual school rules?

Does anyone's school have any strange rules?

My school doesn't like people wearing coats indoors but it always made me wonder why they were specifically emphasising no leather coats, like what is bad about leather jackets?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by serterweryerper

My school doesn't like people wearing coats indoors but it always made me wonder why they were specifically emphasising no leather coats, like what is bad about leather jackets or what did leather coats ever do to the school?

Girls with shoulder-level hair and longer had to tie their hair up.
Natural dyed hair.
No sports shoes only black leather shoes.
No hoop earrings, only studded.
One bracelet and no necklaces.
Reply 2

My school doesn't like people wearing coats indoors but it always made me wonder why they were specifically emphasising no leather coats, like what is bad about leather jackets or what did leather coats ever do to the school?

Okay okay, my secondary said we wernt allowed to wear coats indoors, but this was specifically aimed to all students of colour, not being sensative, just a fact. Also god forbid if you had your hood on because now you were a hoodlum like all the people outside the school. Another rule, no phones at all. If they were seen even in your bag (where you were told to put them) then they were confiscated. Toilet only at lunch and break unless you were a con artist like me and used "ive been sick" or "time of the month"card regularly. walk on the left side of the corridor only otherwise there was sanctions. There was a silent corridor too. Shoes had to be black smart shoes. Hijabs had to be black of blue. No earing other than studs, only one ring. No leggings for PE.What else, let me thinkkkk, oh yeah I painted my OWN hand in tipex right and got sanctioned for it. Like who was I hurting with that, no one. They called my mum and she found it funny, called me an artist to their face and said to leave me be. I also suspect I have Dyslexia and ADHD but not the point, they had a hissy fit cause i did something on my own hand. OOOOOHHH MY FAVOURITE WAS NO LEAVING LESSONS AT ALL, but I managed to slide my way out of that because of a loss of my love one and I had the head of like the people support on the headteachers neck when he tried to make me go to lesson. Oh and my mum, she fought my case too. I cant think of much more but there is loads trust me
Reply 3
These mostly sound like sensible rules to me.
Reply 4
we had a rule where it was like dont go the toilets during lesson it dont matter why/what
i know why they put it cause of ppl skipping lessons and stuff but like now looking back on it teachers could go if they needed to but we couldnt like that was messed up
Mine was u couldn’t go out to the quad, they only read out the good hockey results in assembly, no fake tan, u could only have 1 free period which u could leave school, weren’t allowed to leave early if u didn’t hv any classes and a bunch of ridiculous shoe regulations
Let's see...

'Water fountains are for transparent water bottles only'. I think they thought we'd fill them up with whiskey. From the water fountains. Don't mind me, just turning the water into whiskey like some Scottish variation of Jesus

The school once blocked the entirety of Youtube with the sole exception of Tom Scott and an anime-based cooking channel. I don't know why.

They once had the very bright idea to lock up every single toilet. It turns out the toilets are there for a reason.

Back in S2 we had a Maths teacher who banned us from looking at the clock, clicking the calculator keys 'too loudly' and fidgeting with our hair. Apparently those things were 'distracting'. It turns out it's far more distracting to have a 60-year old with a voice like nails on a chalkboard screech 'stop playing with the hair, we do not play with our hair' every fifteen seconds

Another teacher banned us from experiments for an entire year because some kid threw a wet paper towel at him.

No white-soled trainers. White-soled trainers are the first step to anarchy.

One of the HE teachers used to count all of the butter knives at the end of each period, lest someone pocket one and spread a classmate to death.

Reply 7
Original post by NameUserer
Let's see...

'Water fountains are for transparent water bottles only'. I think they thought we'd fill them up with whiskey. From the water fountains. Don't mind me, just turning the water into whiskey like some Scottish variation of Jesus

The school once blocked the entirety of Youtube with the sole exception of Tom Scott and an anime-based cooking channel. I don't know why.

They once had the very bright idea to lock up every single toilet. It turns out the toilets are there for a reason.

Back in S2 we had a Maths teacher who banned us from looking at the clock, clicking the calculator keys 'too loudly' and fidgeting with our hair. Apparently those things were 'distracting'. It turns out it's far more distracting to have a 60-year old with a voice like nails on a chalkboard screech 'stop playing with the hair, we do not play with our hair' every fifteen seconds

Another teacher banned us from experiments for an entire year because some kid threw a wet paper towel at him.

No white-soled trainers. White-soled trainers are the first step to anarchy.

One of the HE teachers used to count all of the butter knives at the end of each period, lest someone pocket one and spread a classmate to death.

Stop these actually made me giggle. Im following you just for this because your humor is top notch.

yeah same we aren't allowed to do that, they tell us that it has to just be plain. no idea why it matters tho

Quick Reply

Latest