The Student Room Group

St Andrews vs Bath (psych)

I have a conditional offer to study Psychology at both the university of Bath and St Andrews but I really don't know where I would rather go. For a long time I was set on going to St Andrews , but this year after considering it more Bath seems very good too. I like the course in Bath and the weather is better than in St A, I also think that in Bath I'll be closer to my friends. Both universities ask me for practically the same grades and I know that they are both ranked highly for psychology, however St Andrews is higher. I know the rankings aren't everything but i was wondering if it would be dumb of me to not go to the 'best' uni that offers me a place. Anyways I need some advice about where to go and opinions.
(edited 2 years ago)
Bath - their Placements program is one of the best, its a bigger Uni and its closer to London
Hi!! can I ask what offer did St Andrews ask for?
Reply 3
May I know what pg you had? What offer did Bath ask for? Thank you!
Hi there,

Deciding on a university can be a tough decision with lots of factors to consider.

Firstly, while both courses are great, it could be good to look into the specific modules you'll study as these will be different across universities. There may be some which are more appealing to you and would enjoy studying more.

You also want to look into the environment. What kind of nightlife is there? How big is the city? Is there easy transport access? etc. I do not know much about st Andrews but I can give some background on Bath. Bath is a beautiful city, considered very safe and everything you need within walking distance. It has a myriad of things to do in the day such as the cinema, axe throwing, escape room etc., While it is known for having a quieter nightlife, there are always some student events happening, a few clubs and if you wanted a big more, Bristol is only right around the corner with buses running all night. There are also easy transport links from the city to the university, which is about 10 minutes by bus. The campus is fairly compact so getting from class to class is super quick and easy.

An important factor to consider is the support you are offered. Bath offers an incredible amount of student support from academic to financial to mental wellbeing. It also has 24 hour security in which you can call both emergency and non-emergency numbers for any situation and they'll be there to help you out. You'll also be given personal tutors and mentors which assist in your course so you can ask them any and all questions you may have.

You may also look into accommodation. Personally I see this as both important and not so. While you want to have decent facilities and be where you're comfortable, you will only be here for a year so at either university you'll have the option in your following years to find your own suitable place. You can find out about accommodation here: https://www.bath.ac.uk/professional-services/student-accommodation/. Following this however, You will want to think about the cost of living in both towns and what may be within your budget.

Finally, you'll want to have hobbies and interests outside your course. Have a look at the societies, clubs and facilities at both places. Bath is well known for it's sports equipment with everything from a huge gym to Olympic size swimming pool. It also offers over 300 societies for you to join for free which are great for meeting new people and gaining new skills.

Both universities have their merits so I am sure either would be a great choice.

Hope this helps,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 5
Original post by anon.04
I have a conditional offer to study Psychology at both the university of Bath and St Andrews but I really don't know where I would rather go. For a long time I was set on going to St Andrews , but this year after considering it more Bath seems very good too. I like the course in Bath and the weather is better than in St A, I also think that in Bath I'll be closer to my friends. Both universities ask me for practically the same grades and I know that they are both ranked highly for psychology, however St Andrews is higher. I know the rankings aren't everything but i was wondering if it would be dumb of me to not go to the 'best' uni that offers me a place. Anyways I need some advice about where to go and opinions.

May I know what grades did you use to apply Bath? Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by anon.04

ooh I have the exact same dilemma and pretty much the exact same reasons for each side!!! May I ask which you chose in the end and why?
Reply 7
Original post by psychsoc
ooh I have the exact same dilemma and pretty much the exact same reasons for each side!!! May I ask which you chose in the end and why?

When did you apply and when did you get your offer from Bath?
Reply 8
I think I applied at the start of October, and I got my offer at the end of November. Are you also applying?
Reply 9
Original post by undefined
I think I applied at the start of October, and I got my offer at the end of November. Are you also applying?

Yeah I applied end of November but haven't heard anything back yet ☹️ May I ask what subjects and grades you applied with?
Reply 10
Original post by emilynixon
Yeah I applied end of November but haven't heard anything back yet ☹️ May I ask what subjects and grades you applied with?

I applied with 4A* predicted in maths, chem, psych and classics and A* in EPQ. I'd say don't worry if they haven't responded because my friend who applied a bit later than me has no response yet even though shes a really good candidate- I think they are doing it in batches and just taking a while.
Original post by psychsoc
I applied with 4A* predicted in maths, chem, psych and classics and A* in EPQ. I'd say don't worry if they haven't responded because my friend who applied a bit later than me has no response yet even though shes a really good candidate- I think they are doing it in batches and just taking a while.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest