The Student Room Group

Epq idea -any good?

So I’m a month or so into y12 doing 4 - levels (maths, fm,economics and history) and I love economics and history and like maths so far. It has actually been enjoyable doing maths as of late because it’s really pushing me but not too much . I intend to study economics at university and whilst I know an epq on top of this could be too much-I have until after Christmas to decide if I want to do an epq so I can change my mind if the workload gets more intense compared to now.

I’d be looking to do my epq in y12 (finishing it before revision for final y12 exams start hopefully) and to complete an epq so fast, I’d like to get a headstart now on research and my general plan -maybe even my essay . Even if I don’t do an epq I’m going to be doing lots of independent study so if I do an epq at least I get something out of my independent study.

So I have quite an interest in history as well, particularly the cold war(found it super interesting at gcse history and want to learn much more in depth about it) and I came up with a couple economics epq ideas based around that.

To what extent was economic policy the downfall of the Soviet Union?(focusing on policy throughout the soviet unions history with a particular emphasis on Gorbachevs later policies and how successfully they were implemented)

How did economic policy change in the Soviet Union between 1945-1990?(more of an overall look at the history of the Soviet Union from an economics standpoint)

These might be rubbish ideas and I know they’re very historical but I personally am super interested in economics during the Cold War and would definitely focus on economics, not social policy. If these are daft ideas, I’d probably do something about recessions or no epq at all.
So what do you think?
Original post by Peach_rose34
So I’m a month or so into y12 doing 4 - levels (maths, fm,economics and history) and I love economics and history and like maths so far. It has actually been enjoyable doing maths as of late because it’s really pushing me but not too much . I intend to study economics at university and whilst I know an epq on top of this could be too much-I have until after Christmas to decide if I want to do an epq so I can change my mind if the workload gets more intense compared to now.

I’d be looking to do my epq in y12 (finishing it before revision for final y12 exams start hopefully) and to complete an epq so fast, I’d like to get a headstart now on research and my general plan -maybe even my essay . Even if I don’t do an epq I’m going to be doing lots of independent study so if I do an epq at least I get something out of my independent study.

So I have quite an interest in history as well, particularly the cold war(found it super interesting at gcse history and want to learn much more in depth about it) and I came up with a couple economics epq ideas based around that.

To what extent was economic policy the downfall of the Soviet Union?(focusing on policy throughout the soviet unions history with a particular emphasis on Gorbachevs later policies and how successfully they were implemented)

How did economic policy change in the Soviet Union between 1945-1990?(more of an overall look at the history of the Soviet Union from an economics standpoint)

These might be rubbish ideas and I know they’re very historical but I personally am super interested in economics during the Cold War and would definitely focus on economics, not social policy. If these are daft ideas, I’d probably do something about recessions or no epq at all.
So what do you think?

Will your school let you do an EPQ on top of four A-levels? I know some sixth forms wouldn't let you do that but I also know some that would.
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Will your school let you do an EPQ on top of four A-levels? I know some sixth forms wouldn't let you do that but I also know some that would.

They will -doing four a levels at my college is incredibly rare so we’re expected to be able to handle it anyway.
I think your ideas so far are interesting and I can already tell you are passionate about your subject since you enjoyed it at GCSE. I think doing an EPQ is great as you can get additional UCAS points from it (depending on the course you apply to) and it shows that you have done independent research outside of your main academia. I think if you stay really organised whilst studying 4 subjects, an EPQ is doable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending