The Student Room Group

I need a modern book similar to 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'

I study A level English in Northern Ireland and, next year, we have to do an essay on two books of our choosing; however, one has to be a 21st-century novel. I really want to do 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' but I'm struggling to find a book to compare and contrast it to that was made in the 2000s.

I'm thinking of doing the theme of narcissism or the corruption of beauty.

Any suggestions?
Trust by Hernan Diaz?
Original post by xxHeathcliffxx
I study A level English in Northern Ireland and, next year, we have to do an essay on two books of our choosing; however, one has to be a 21st-century novel. I really want to do 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' but I'm struggling to find a book to compare and contrast it to that was made in the 2000s.

I'm thinking of doing the theme of narcissism or the corruption of beauty.

Any suggestions?

Hey! I presume you're talking about the NEA component of A-level English which I have recently just completed. I did the picture of Dorian Gray as well and I do have a list of good books to compare it to if you are interested. However ofc I only did one. I chose The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and I wrote about art representing the corruption of character. I will try to find the list of books we were suggested to do (we had to do dorian gray).
Reply 3
Original post by rowan_willow
Hey! I presume you're talking about the NEA component of A-level English which I have recently just completed. I did the picture of Dorian Gray as well and I do have a list of good books to compare it to if you are interested. However ofc I only did one. I chose The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt and I wrote about art representing the corruption of character. I will try to find the list of books we were suggested to do (we had to do dorian gray).

could you send the list? I was also thinking of doing the goldfinch and dorian gray, but im worried the goldfinch will be too long and want to consider other options
Original post by rowan_willow

A list of books would be really helpful! I was already thinking of doing either The Goldfinch or The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (which a friend recommended to me); but, more options would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending