The Student Room Group

Failing 2 Modules In First Year Semester

Hi. I am currently studying Biology in 1st year at Uni of Hull. In first semester I really struggled mentally. This is mostly due to the fact that I hadn’t made any friends at all during my stay in uni. So it’s safe to say I am and have been extremely lonely and depressed tbh. I started wallowing in my sorrows and slowly stopped attending lectures, only attending once in a while and isolating myself in my room. I attended 3 out of 13 total labs and ended up getting 20% in this lab module, so i failed. I got 31% in my Microbiology module, so i failed. I’m in my second semester and it’s going smoothly, I promised myself I will attend every lecture this semester and give it my all despite the fact that I failed 2 modules affected my confidence. I also still can’t seem to make any friends even though i’m not just staying in my room anymore :frown:. Tbh I am full of regret. I am petrified that i will have to retake the whole of 1st year!? I read up on it and it says ‘if a significant proportion of the laboratory classes have been missed (> 50% over a trimester or year) then serious consideration should be given to repeating the trimester or year as the student will be very badly prepared for the subsequent academic year’. However, if you’ve missed less than 50% you can resit just the module in summer instead of the year. Does my mental health count as mitigating circumstances for me to ask for a resit? Should i speak to my tutor?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi. I am currently studying Biology in 1st year at Uni of Hull. In first semester I really struggled mentally. This is mostly due to the fact that I hadn’t made any friends at all during my stay in uni. So it’s safe to say I am and have been extremely lonely and depressed tbh. I started wallowing in my sorrows and slowly stopped attending lectures, only attending once in a while and isolating myself in my room. I attended 3 out of 13 total labs and ended up getting 20% in this lab module, so i failed. I got 31% in my Microbiology module, so i failed. I’m in my second semester and it’s going smoothly, I promised myself I will attend every lecture this semester and give it my all despite the fact that I failed 2 modules affected my confidence. I also still can’t seem to make any friends even though i’m not just staying in my room anymore :frown:. Tbh I am full of regret. I am petrified that i will have to retake the whole of 1st year!? I read up on it and it says ‘if a significant proportion of the laboratory classes have been missed (> 50% over a trimester or year) then serious consideration should be given to repeating the trimester or year as the student will be very badly prepared for the subsequent academic year’. However, if you’ve missed less than 50% you can resit just the module in summer instead of the year. Does my mental health count as mitigating circumstances for me to ask for a resit? Should i speak to my tutor?

The first couple of semesters are really hard and can feel lonely for a lot of people! Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to adjust. I didn't gel with the people I was living with initially and felt the same way, but I made friends on my course, in my next house and through sports. Have you thought about joining a sport or society at your uni to meet new people? Definitely reach out to your tutor and the mental health team at your uni, they are there to help you through it and they should be able to support you. I swapped from a course I couldn't get my head around in the first term, in to one I really loved and managed to complete the degree. Speak to your tutor & reach out to the mental health team!
Reply 2

Sorry to hear this. Hang in there.

You can perhaps speak to a university counsellor.

You an get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889-relate, they have a chat advisor

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being

I'd like to share some additional insights with you. Unfortunately, the platform we're using restricts the exchange of personal contact details. I recognize the importance of mental health, and it's perfectly okay to encounter obstacles, especially during demanding academic periods. I can tailor my support to accommodate your needs, whether that involves providing additional clarification on certain topics, offering guidance on structuring assignments, or helping you navigate the course material more effectively.

Quick Reply

Latest