The Student Room Group

Can a university revoke my application because of my autism diagnosis

I recently got my official documentation regarding my ADHD and autism diagnosis and was planning on telling the universities that gave me offers as I didn't have the documentation before I sent my application. I think it's important that they know prior to me accepting offers as things like this can change grade requirements and consideration if I am to slightly miss requirements however I am concerned that they could revoke my offer because I have these. Is this a valid concern or am I being insane.
Original post by Bea Martin
I recently got my official documentation regarding my ADHD and autism diagnosis and was planning on telling the universities that gave me offers as I didn't have the documentation before I sent my application. I think it's important that they know prior to me accepting offers as things like this can change grade requirements and consideration if I am to slightly miss requirements however I am concerned that they could revoke my offer because I have these. Is this a valid concern or am I being insane.

They can't revoke your offer because of this and would be in a spectacular amount of trouble if they did.

It's worth declaring these things as it should put you on the radar of disability services at the uni.
Reply 2
It shouldn’t affect your place on the courses, I suggest going to the open days again to speak to staff there that would personally support you cause that’ll give you a peace of mind
If you provide the evidence then they contact you about setting up support and adjustments and you will be added to the uni disability service email list for things such as autistic induction days. If you don't tell them then you have to sort all the support out yourself and might miss out on opportunitites
Reply 4

Hi - fellow autistic ADHD-er here! They should have no reason to withdraw your offer, but if you want to make them aware, I would suggest sending an email to the Admissions team at the Unioversity with your diagnosis paperwork on, copying in the Disability team - you should not have to do this though, as a diagnosis of these conditions should not be grounds for academic discrimination, which it would be if they were to eithdraw any offers. Other things you can do are:

Go on Offer Holder days to your chosen Unis - most universities will have their disability/wellbeing services around to help on these days, so you should be able to ask them for help

Declare your diagnoses with their supporting evidence when yopu enroll on your course, following your confirmed place aftrer results day - re,member, unless you are a post-A level applicant, nothing is certain until then

Hi Bea,
University's cannot reject individuals because of disability, as mentioned by Admit_One, they would be in a lot of trouble if they did . You can extra support from university's, through learning support plans.
You can also get DSA through student finance. If there's any decision holder days at the university.
I would recommend going and speaking to the different teams at the university, such wellbeing team and the disability team.

Suzan - Student Ambassador
No university would withdraw an offer because of disability, that would be discrimination! But there's a possibility they might change your offer to a (lower) contextual one maybe? I have ASD too.
Hello @Bea Martin,

As a fellow ADHD - no they will not reject you for that. Make sure that you get a statement of support needs by emailing your university disability team with your evidence. You will probably be able to get extra items on exams and extensions on assignments. Also, make sure to apply for Disable Studnet Allowance through your Studnet Finance England portal. They will set you up with an assessment where it will be explored what kind of equipment will help you. Then they would make recommendations. Moreover, some universities have ASD support groups 💙

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?
Hristiana (Kingston rep)
1st-year Mental Health Student
Reply 8
Hi there. Most Universities have either Disabled Student Departments or even Neurodiverse Departments such as Surrey University. I would consider contacting these for advice on how you should approach it as they should be able to help you. It is definitely worth telling them as apart from the possibility that your entry requirements may be lower you may also be able to get a subsidy with accommodation if you can prove that your disability would make it difficult for you. For example sharing a bathroom so you can get an en-suite for the same cost as standard room with shared bathroom for example. Also there may be a lot of other support you could be missing out on. Hope that helps.

It would be against the law if they were to revoke offers on the basis of disability. It is a good idea to let universities know, as they can help with any needs you have for accommodation (for example not being put in a super noisy room). They can also give you extra time for any entrance exams or interviews. I know of universities who have promised to keep new diagnoses in mind when making decisions about grades, if those grades were achieved in school exams where the applicant did not have any support for their disability yet.

You can also apply for the DSA (disabled student allowance) which can provide you with materials you need to access education better. In the degree itself, the university can give you support for ADHD and autism, such as extra time or a quiet room for exams. You could have access to lecture recordings or assignment deadline extensions. It is better to inform them of this sooner rather than later so the paperwork can be in order.
Reply 10

No they can't as that would be breaking the law. Also, it is up to you when you want to tell them. You can tell them now, once you've accepted, once you've started, anytime thereafter, or never if you prefer.

As you and others have alluded to, telling them sooner might be beneficial so they can make allowances/adjustments if applicable, but it is completely up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending