The Student Room Group

How should i layout my personal statement?

Here are the questions i have about my PS:
How many paragraphs should I do?
What should each paragraph be about?
What percent should each paragraph take up in my PS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (this PS is for computer science)
It won’t be very personal if you try to follow a formula to structure the content.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
It won’t be very personal if you try to follow a formula to structure the content.

Yes, bu aren't there certain things I can do to make my PS better structured, without completely following the structure of others? I heard it's preferable to have 20% of your PS made up of extra-curriculars for example.
Reply 3
Original post by sdgsgdg
Yes, bu aren't there certain things I can do to make my PS better structured, without completely following the structure of others? I heard it's preferable to have 20% of your PS made up of extra-curriculars for example.

short, but engaging intro encapsulating your interest in computer science

the bulk is supercurriculars - paragraphs on different topics of CS you are interested/have read around in?

if you have relevant ones then put a tiny paragraph at the end of extracurriculars but this is unnecessary in my opinion
Reply 4
Original post by yzven
short, but engaging intro encapsulating your interest in computer science

the bulk is supercurriculars - paragraphs on different topics of CS you are interested/have read around in?

if you have relevant ones then put a tiny paragraph at the end of extracurriculars but this is unnecessary in my opinion

thanks
The way I did my personal statement was I made a list of all the things I've did that are relevant to computer science. I then made paragraphs in detail on each point. I then merged similar paragraphs together. I then took out unnecessary information. I then reformatted into an intro of what got me interested and some body paragraphs and a lovely conclusion as to why I would be a good fit for uni.

Ofc this resulted in a practical heavy personal statement but I ensured to keep it flowing and white how each thing ties into my love for CS and what skills I've gained. Remember you have to keep a quick pace and don't waffle at all. It should flow quickly into each point to ensure you don't bore the admissions staff. Made sure to make it unique and get them to read on and make it personal.

This was my personal approach but it's worked so far with 4/5 of my unis with 3 Russel group and Lboro giving offers
Original post by shadowblades
The way I did my personal statement was I made a list of all the things I've did that are relevant to computer science. I then made paragraphs in detail on each point. I then merged similar paragraphs together. I then took out unnecessary information. I then reformatted into an intro of what got me interested and some body paragraphs and a lovely conclusion as to why I would be a good fit for uni.

Ofc this resulted in a practical heavy personal statement but I ensured to keep it flowing and white how each thing ties into my love for CS and what skills I've gained. Remember you have to keep a quick pace and don't waffle at all. It should flow quickly into each point to ensure you don't bore the admissions staff. Made sure to make it unique and get them to read on and make it personal.

This was my personal approach but it's worked so far with 4/5 of my unis with 3 Russel group and Lboro giving offers

I forgot ensure to put at least 1 or 2 extra curriculars in a sentence or 2 somewhere near the end to ensure your not seen as someone who has no life as uni staff will want to hear your life isn't just computer science. Again not more than a sentence or 2
Original post by sdgsgdg
Here are the questions i have about my PS:
How many paragraphs should I do?
What should each paragraph be about?
What percent should each paragraph take up in my PS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated (this PS is for computer science)

Hi, I'm a final year undergraduate at SOAS University of London. I'd suggest splitting your personal statement into half. In the first half discuss the course you want to study and why, what interested you in wanting to study that programme at university and reference any books, TedTalks, articles you've engaged with and any essays you've written that are related. In the second half describe you as a person and talk about extra-curricular events like volunteering, part-time work etc that you take on and the transferrable skills you've gained and how these will help you in your degree. Best of luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending