The Student Room Group

Can i get a job in finance with my current degree?

I've been stressing about this for a while since i dropped my passion for art and design to pursue a career in finance, although i wasnt sure of the specific field i wanted to work in im basically open to anything thats gonna make me money after graduating. Im currently a first year studying BSc international development with economics at University of Bath, it was an alternative offer from my initial application for pure Economics due to my A level grades. Anyway its second semester and unfortunately ive only started thinking about whether this course will get me the job i'd want now... Ive applied to multiple summer internships to get experience in finance, not all of them ask for it but there are quite a lot that ask for students studying courses like math, econ or finance... i dont wanna continue with a course if i know im still gonna struggle to get a high paying job after graduating... so ive considered transfering to a uni with lower grade boundaries so i could study a more relevant degree, especially after reading that the reputation of the university doesnt affect emplyability that much, or try to switch courses withnin my current uni to business or accounting and management... thats if they accept me onto that course. the people ive spoken to have said they dont think i should switch as theres nothing wrong with my degree, but i cant help but feel like compared my future competition when applying for these high paying jobs or internships, my degree that is less relevant to the business or finance industry would be a barrier. If i dropped my true passion, i want it to be worth it and i want to make a decent salary after graduating... anyways please let me know what you think cos ive been feeling really stuck and stressed lately.
Big 4 accounting firms don't care wha5 degree you studied or where, and that's a "finance" job in a general sense of being in the financial services sector. If you don't have a more specific definition in mind then it's clearly not an issue.

Work experience will matter more than your degree title.
I worked in finance for over a decade without a degree in a related subject. As above, it’s a broad field.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Big 4 accounting firms don't care wha5 degree you studied or where, and that's a "finance" job in a general sense of being in the financial services sector. If you don't have a more specific definition in mind then it's clearly not an issue.

Work experience will matter more than your degree title.
thanks for the reply :smile:
im still not 100% sure tho, i feel like to get the work expericne i want i should be studying in a more related field? and ik bath is a decent uni but its still not a russel group like warick or nottingham so idk if i could rlly get away with having a less related degree as much. im still applying to summer internships and hoping to hear back from them soon but im still a little worried tbh
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I worked in finance for over a decade without a degree in a related subject. As above, it’s a broad field.
oh thats made me feel more motivated ^^
would you mind if you told me more about it? like how did you get a job in finance, and did u do any internships? if so was searching for them a lot more difficult with a less related degree? and do you have any tips for a first year like me?
Original post by sylvaticia
thanks for the reply :smile:
im still not 100% sure tho, i feel like to get the work expericne i want i should be studying in a more related field? and ik bath is a decent uni but its still not a russel group like warick or nottingham so idk if i could rlly get away with having a less related degree as much. im still applying to summer internships and hoping to hear back from them soon but im still a little worried tbh

I literally know someone who went to a non-RG uni doing history and politics who works at a big 4 firm as an accountant now.

In real life people don't care about these sorts of things.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
I literally know someone who went to a non-RG uni doing history and politics who works at a big 4 firm as an accountant now.

In real life people don't care about these sorts of things.
oh okay!
i actually rlly appreciate u for clarifying that ive been rlly stressed cos it feels like ppl online say rlly different things abt courses and which uni u attend it can get confusing and stressful...
is there anything in particular these ppl do? is it bc of the internships they apply to mostly?
oh okay!
i actually rlly appreciate u for clarifying that ive been rlly stressed cos it feels like ppl online say rlly different things abt courses and which uni u attend it can get confusing and stressful...
is there anything in particular these ppl do? is it bc of the internships they apply to mostly?

Work experience and preparing for assessment centre exercises. The degree is just a tick box. I think 2 of the big 4 have A-level grade requirements but the other 2 don't to my knowledge.
oh thats made me feel more motivated ^^
would you mind if you told me more about it? like how did you get a job in finance, and did u do any internships? if so was searching for them a lot more difficult with a less related degree? and do you have any tips for a first year like me?

I’ve never done an internship in my life. But I’m middle aged now, so the job market is different from a couple of decades back. .

I got a degree in computing. Struggled to get related work so took a data entry job as a temp at HSBC. I’m sure most grads would turn their nose up at it, but it got me in the door and more importantly for me sight of internal vacancies and on the radar of recruiting managers. It’s a lot easier to talk at interview when you know the business and role well.

From memory, my degree never limited me. Vacancies only ever asked for a bachelors degree. Box ticked.

I did loads of different jobs, mainly around customer onboarding and risk. I ended up being a credit underwriter despite having no relevant qualifications at all. I never met a single person with a degree in a related field, I remember people having them in things like Politics and Archeology though.

I suppose the gist is that you need to be prepared to start low and work hard. Too many people think they’re going to get into a grad scheme when they’re competitive and oversaturated.
Reply 9
I think im just gonna switch anyway cos this course makes me miserable. I was enduring it before because i thought bath is a rlly good uni with high student satisfaction and the placemtents are great but if they dont let me switch for next year im just going to look elsewhere..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending