The Student Room Group

From Australia to Scotland - High School

We are moving to Glasgow from Qld, Australia to start the new school year in Aug 2024. My daughter is 15 and currently Year 10 here. After this year she old have two years left of high school.

Would it be possible for her to start in Scotland in S5 and do her Nat5’s ? Then S6 she can do Highers ?

Or I guess she can start in S4 (but she would be older than most).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Original post by Hubbs05
We are moving to Glasgow from Qld, Australia to start the new school year in Aug 2024. My daughter is 15 and currently Year 10 here. After this year she old have two years left of high school.

Would it be possible for her to start in Scotland in S5 and do her Nat5’s ? Then S6 she can do Highers ?

Or I guess she can start in S4 (but she would be older than most).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

It’s quite normal in Scotland for people to be held back a year so she won’t be the only one. I think it all depends on what she wants to do; if she wants to go uni I would say go into s4 so she can get her Nat 5s then in S5 get her highers then in S6 she can get her advanced highers or more highers. But if she doesn’t want to go to uni I don’t think it would matter what she did.
Original post by Zesty lemon
It’s quite normal in Scotland for people to be held back a year so she won’t be the only one. I think it all depends on what she wants to do; if she wants to go uni I would say go into s4 so she can get her Nat 5s then in S5 get her highers then in S6 she can get her advanced highers or more highers. But if she doesn’t want to go to uni I don’t think it would matter what she did.
sorry for disturbing, though is nat5 essential for uni (I want to go to cambridge /LSE)? can I skip nat5 and study higher at S5?
Original post by wandizhang
sorry for disturbing, though is nat5 essential for uni (I want to go to cambridge /LSE)? can I skip nat5 and study higher at S5?
Depends if the school thinks your capable of doing higher without the foundation of Nat 5 :smile: although I assume Australia may have an equivalent. I think it would be worth asking the school you are going too.
Highers build on the knowledge gained at N5 level. A lot of people may crash another Higher in S6 but most schools would be hesitant to let anyone do this without feeling it was achievable and certainly not for several subjects. Agree, a lot of Nov - Feb birthdays are held back so likely not to be the oldest in the year. Personally, do the N5’s to get the background knowledge and style of learning in Scotland. Also, remember you don’t need to stay on for S6 , if your Highers are good enough and the UNi course is one that doesn’t need AH’s as part of the entry requirements, you can apply to Uni. Worth noting if you are looking at Uni’s in England most of them will require AH’s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending