The Student Room Group

How can I qualify for UK/Australian admissions when I don't have Igcse or IB diploma?

Hi. I'm a junior high student from the Philippines and I've just started researching about universities abroad. I'm really confused about what IB programs or IGCSE exams since it's my first time hearing about them.

I read that taking a foundation year can help but I'm still unsure. Do I need to have an IB to even get into a foundation program first? And are foundation years done in the country where you wish to study?
Original post by ghmmy
Hi. I'm a junior high student from the Philippines and I've just started researching about universities abroad. I'm really confused about what IB programs or IGCSE exams since it's my first time hearing about them.

I read that taking a foundation year can help but I'm still unsure. Do I need to have an IB to even get into a foundation program first? And are foundation years done in the country where you wish to study?

Foundation year programmes are usually required when your international high school qualifications aren't accepted by the university you're applying to. They're usually run by the university itself, and you'd be doing it in the country you wished to study in. In both the UK and Australia, the IB diploma is fully recognised, and so you wouldn't need to take a foundation year. IGCSE is a qualification usually taken around age 16, so it comes before IB and isn't required for university, nor is it sufficient for applications.

I'm not sure about Australia, but in the UK the Philippine school leaving certificate isn't usually accepted by universities. Although foundation years are sometimes offered for international students, many universities do not have this option, and so you'd be really limiting yourself if you didn't take an accepted qualification. Have a look at some universities you're interested in, they usually have a list of accepted international qualifications, such as this:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/international-qualifications
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending