The Student Room Group

Leaving an Apprenticeship

I’ve been an apprentice for the same company for nearly three years, I’ve completed level two and am just finishing up on my level three. I loved the apprenticeship and learning whilst working, however family circumstances are getting in the way at this particular work place and I no longer feel like it’s healthy for myself or my family at home and therefore would like to leave as soon as I’ve finished my exams and get my qualifications.

However, my contract states that I must stay with the company for a further year otherwise they will charge me for my courses I have completed. Is this legal? As I’ve found online that companies are not lawfully allowed to ask for money back for completing the apprenticeship. However if I do leave and do not pay for the apprenticeship, is that then breech of contract which then gives the company the right to then sue me?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Many thanks
I know of people who have left their apprenticeship, Just like you, one of them was doing a level 3 and they had a discussion with their manager about leaving which is important, communication. They were then asked to pay 25% of fee and continued their apprenticeship elsewhere and finished it.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Lucy1205
I’ve been an apprentice for the same company for nearly three years, I’ve completed level two and am just finishing up on my level three. I loved the apprenticeship and learning whilst working, however family circumstances are getting in the way at this particular work place and I no longer feel like it’s healthy for myself or my family at home and therefore would like to leave as soon as I’ve finished my exams and get my qualifications.

However, my contract states that I must stay with the company for a further year otherwise they will charge me for my courses I have completed. Is this legal? As I’ve found online that companies are not lawfully allowed to ask for money back for completing the apprenticeship. However if I do leave and do not pay for the apprenticeship, is that then breech of contract which then gives the company the right to then sue me?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Many thanks

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5074434
Reply 3
See the above thread.
I think maybe you should give some thought as to what kind of reference you might get if you do leave as soon as you've done the apprenticeship?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending