The Student Room Group

does it really matter what uni you graduate from?

To people.who have graduated and are in the stem industry or post grad, how much importance does which uni you graduated from really hold in the “real world”? Of course, having an Oxbridge degree is an immediate advantage for many reasons, similarly for other prestigious unis like Kings, Imperial etc. but realistically, if you went to a slightly less renowned Russell group or other (and bear in mind even when I say less renowned I still mean good unis like Aberdeen, Lancaster etc) does it matter in the employment sector or
postgrad applications? I would really like to hear an honest perspective and people’s own experience especially when applying postgrad and finding jobs in the stem industry
Reply 1
Original post by Nat4695
To people.who have graduated and are in the stem industry or post grad, how much importance does which uni you graduated from really hold in the “real world”? Of course, having an Oxbridge degree is an immediate advantage for many reasons, similarly for other prestigious unis like Kings, Imperial etc. but realistically, if you went to a slightly less renowned Russell group or other (and bear in mind even when I say less renowned I still mean good unis like Aberdeen, Lancaster etc) does it matter in the employment sector or
postgrad applications? I would really like to hear an honest perspective and people’s own experience especially when applying postgrad and finding jobs in the stem industry

I matters not a jot and even an Oxbridge degree is no guarantee of a job. In fact when you look at employability, Oxbridge doesn't fair that well in the face of tough competition of universities that place that as a high priority in terms of what they are there to do.

What you have to realise is that university is primarily a research and education based institute. It is about critical thinking, research based learning and in terms of assessment, taking exams and writing essays. Companies on the other hand are paying employees for their time, skills and knowledge. The two are not very compatible at the best of times. So the idea that a name on a certificate may add to a candidates gravitas just doesn't add up unless you are lucky enough to move in a world where who you know counts for more than what you know.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending