The Student Room Group

PhD help!

Removed
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by BlueEyesHypnotiz
I will be starting a PhD and my PhD is in Geography, Environment and Development Studies. My topic revolves around dams in high mountains of india and includes environmental degradation, political ecology, climate change, environmental and water governance etc. However, I also aim to use scientific aspect of geography such as physical geography, hydrology, disaster management and geomorphology to build upon my thesis.

I'm reading a lot on physical geography before starting but want to know if you guys have any tips on how I can organise the subjects to gain maximum knowledge and expertise that I can use to build in my thesis.

Any study, retention tips and thesis tips will be greatly appreciated!

Hi!

These sound like really interesting topics!

My quick tip would be to use a referencing software to keep track of what you're reading (if you're not already doing this). Free software like Mendeley or Zotero can store a database of everything you've read, and you can add notes, tags, and categorise the papers if you like. Then you won't lose track of where you read something and it will be easy to find the papers again. When you're writing you can quickly add the references, which will be automatically organised and will automatically generate a bibliography. You can get the browser and word processing extensions. Make sure to regularly back up the reference library you create, just in case.

Gemma
2nd Year PhD Student, Environment & Agrifood
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest