The Student Room Group

PhD & financial struggles

I am currently doing my LLM in Law, and I would like to proceed to complete a PhD. However, my household financial situation is average. I think starting to earn to help my family is the right thing to do, as they have already made a lot of sacrifices for me. But at the same time completing a PhD and becoming an academic is one of my biggest dreams.
I was wondering whether you get paid to complete a PhD in the UK, and whether is possible to work while completing it.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by kamal12
I am currently doing my LLM in Law, and I would like to proceed to complete a PhD. However, my household financial situation is average. I think starting to earn to help my family is the right thing to do, as they have already made a lot of sacrifices for me. But at the same time completing a PhD and becoming an academic is one of my biggest dreams.
I was wondering whether you get paid to complete a PhD in the UK, and whether is possible to work while completing it.

Hi!

You can get paid to do a PhD in the UK, through studentships, where you are paid a doctoral stipend. These can come either from the university directly, or from a range of research councils, such as ESRC. Definitely investigate with the universities' you want to apply to and investigate their postgraduate scholarships offered.

I think it is possible to work while completing it, I have a part-time job alongside my PhD and know others who do the same. It will definitely be a struggle at times but it's not impossible. I try to treat my PhD as my 9-5 and do some extra part-time work, especially on the weekends. But it also depends on your research and the workload that comes with that.

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending