The Student Room Group

is it hard to get into or complete phd if youre married

Hey everyone. Im Muslim. I was wondering if getting married will affect the process of completing a PhD. I haven't personally seen or known any asian women in this situation.....so your help will be vvrrry useful in this situation
I don't really know what being Muslim or being married would have to do with completing a PhD.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone. Im Muslim. I was wondering if getting married will affect the process of completing a PhD. I haven't personally seen or known any asian women in this situation.....so your help will be vvrrry useful in this situation

When you say "completing" a PhD, I'm assuming you're talking about writing your final thesis.

I'm neither Muslim, Asian, married or a woman, but I have completed a PhD... so you can take or leave my opinion. IMHO, it would ultimately depend on how supportive / understanding your husband is. If you've had a good supervisor, you've published your papers, completed all your research / surveys / experiments etc. you should be fine... as long as you're allowed to fully focus on writing up and you're not too distracted with other commitments (note trying to do a write-up, whilst holding down a job will be very very unpleasent... unless it's a research post that's very related to your PhD.

Good luck anyway, and welcome to the club :wink:
being muslim has nothing to do on weather you can or cannot complete a phd as ive experienced it first hand, if the marriage is healthy and you still have the ambition to complete your thesis then you have nothing to worry about as many of my aunties and female family friends went through with their phds successfully despite having children and a big fam.
all comes down to the right partner as islam is a religion of knowledge and encourages you to pursue what benefits you.
wish you the best
Original post by nourwils
being muslim has nothing to do on weather you can or cannot complete a phd as ive experienced it first hand, if the marriage is healthy and you still have the ambition to complete your thesis then you have nothing to worry about as many of my aunties and female family friends went through with their phds successfully despite having children and a big fam.
all comes down to the right partner as islam is a religion of knowledge and encourages you to pursue what benefits you.
wish you the best

Original post by Old Skool Freak
When you say "completing" a PhD, I'm assuming you're talking about writing your final thesis.

I'm neither Muslim, Asian, married or a woman, but I have completed a PhD... so you can take or leave my opinion. IMHO, it would ultimately depend on how supportive / understanding your husband is. If you've had a good supervisor, you've published your papers, completed all your research / surveys / experiments etc. you should be fine... as long as you're allowed to fully focus on writing up and you're not too distracted with other commitments (note trying to do a write-up, whilst holding down a job will be very very unpleasent... unless it's a research post that's very related to your PhD.

Good luck anyway, and welcome to the club :wink:

Hello, and thank you for your replies everyone. All of your answers were truly inspiring. Apologies for making it sound like I am doing Phd, but I haven't applied for PhD yet. I thought that getting married will affect the application as well as the completion process as marriage is a commitment in it self. But regardless this post was extremely helpful.
Hello, and thank you for your replies everyone. All of your answers were truly inspiring. Apologies for making it sound like I am doing Phd, but I haven't applied for PhD yet. I thought that getting married will affect the application as well as the completion process as marriage is a commitment in it self. But regardless this post was extremely helpful.

Nah, marital status shouldn't matter one way or the other.

What's more important is if YOU are willing to make the commitment to fully see it through to the very end. IMHO, you've got to really want to do a PhD for whatever reason (doesn't matter if it's a love / passion for a subject matter, wanting to make your mark in academia or ven just having the Dr title lol). Either way you've got to be of the mindset, "Yes, I REALLY want to finish this" rather than, "Meh, got nothing better to do, so might as well"

It's worth noting, that it's almost unheard of for people to actually fail a PhD outright. It's far more common to just not complete it (either work / family /financial commitments get in the way, or the candidate gives up 1/2 way through, but they've got enough to obtain an M Phil. (this is a research degree, but it's only a standard Masters level). Although there's no time limit, you really want to be aiming to complete it in 3 years... at the very least get all research work / publications out in that time. Personally, I would also recommend you aim to get at least one review paper in your first year... this is very good because:-

a) It will form a large part of your literature review for your final thesis
b) It also lets other Universities / industries know what you're researching, so opens the door for potential collaboration and even the possibility of a job offer once you've finished :smile:
Nah, marital status shouldn't matter one way or the other.

What's more important is if YOU are willing to make the commitment to fully see it through to the very end. IMHO, you've got to really want to do a PhD for whatever reason (doesn't matter if it's a love / passion for a subject matter, wanting to make your mark in academia or ven just having the Dr title lol). Either way you've got to be of the mindset, "Yes, I REALLY want to finish this" rather than, "Meh, got nothing better to do, so might as well"

It's worth noting, that it's almost unheard of for people to actually fail a PhD outright. It's far more common to just not complete it (either work / family /financial commitments get in the way, or the candidate gives up 1/2 way through, but they've got enough to obtain an M Phil. (this is a research degree, but it's only a standard Masters level). Although there's no time limit, you really want to be aiming to complete it in 3 years... at the very least get all research work / publications out in that time. Personally, I would also recommend you aim to get at least one review paper in your first year... this is very good because:-

a) It will form a large part of your literature review for your final thesis
b) It also lets other Universities / industries know what you're researching, so opens the door for potential collaboration and even the possibility of a job offer once you've finished :smile:

Your response has made me change my mind of marriage getting in the way of completing a PhD. Thank you so much for this bcs without this response I would've still been lost and confused as Im the 1st person in family in this kind of situation

And as you are currently doing your PhD (I'm guessing) what was your application process like such as the horrifying research proposal to get into the course. Im doing a stem degree btw not sure if this applies for BAs or other arts degree
Your response has made me change my mind of marriage getting in the way of completing a PhD. Thank you so much for this bcs without this response I would've still been lost and confused as Im the 1st person in family in this kind of situation

And as you are currently doing your PhD (I'm guessing) what was your application process like such as the horrifying research proposal to get into the course. Im doing a stem degree btw not sure if this applies for BAs or other arts degree

I finished my PhD a while ago, I'm afraid.

I did my PhD at the same Uni I did my undergraduate course on... and it was a continuation of a second year project (and a Summer placement), so it kind of all followed on naturally from that. There was also an industrial partner involved from the start, which also helped with funding etc. So unfortunately, I probably can't help much with the research proposal. However, my background is Engineering (although I work in IT now lol)

Do you have a specific area in mind you want to research? Have you had a look at what other work is being done on this area elsewhere and identified any areas that are lacking? Have you spoken to or approached any University lecuturers about the projects they've got going? A PhD isn't a very popular choice amongst people, so if they can see you're dead keen on doing their work, they're more likely to help you in the application process. In fact, they may well have some of their own proposals where they just need someone to do the work.

Apart from that, I'd suggest you ask some of these questions in the Academic sections of this board.
The right partner will support your ambitions otherwise he’s/ they aren’t worth it.
Reply 9
I’d say it should be helpful in theory at least, with someone to give practical and emotional support during the work. Now kids would be another thing mind
So, as above it will make no difference for admissions purposes in terms of the uni's decision - I'm pretty sure discriminating on the basis of marital status (whether positively or negatively) would probably be illegal in some capacity. So no problems on that front directly - indirectly if your partner can't move due to their job/other factors, then that limits which unis you can practically apply to do a PhD at, which may affect your chances overall compared to someone who can cast a wider net.

In terms of completing the PhD, it really depends on you and your relationship. PhDs are a long process during which you'll have very limited earnings potential, so you'll be tied to one area for 3-4 years, and if your partner doesn't work you may find it financially challenging (or even if they do work but have a low income, depending where you end up living while you're doing your PhD). So the financial ramifications are pretty notable and definitely something you'll need to talk through with your partner

They can also be quite draining and emotionally demanding of the candidate - you have to commit a lot of yourself to it. This could cause friction in your relationship potentially, particularly if you struggle to manage a work-life balance and have outlets for stress. Equally as noted above, having your partner support you emotionally in that time could help you :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
I finished my PhD a while ago, I'm afraid.

I did my PhD at the same Uni I did my undergraduate course on... and it was a continuation of a second year project (and a Summer placement), so it kind of all followed on naturally from that. There was also an industrial partner involved from the start, which also helped with funding etc. So unfortunately, I probably can't help much with the research proposal. However, my background is Engineering (although I work in IT now lol)

Do you have a specific area in mind you want to research? Have you had a look at what other work is being done on this area elsewhere and identified any areas that are lacking? Have you spoken to or approached any University lecuturers about the projects they've got going? A PhD isn't a very popular choice amongst people, so if they can see you're dead keen on doing their work, they're more likely to help you in the application process. In fact, they may well have some of their own proposals where they just need someone to do the work.

Apart from that, I'd suggest you ask some of these questions in the Academic sections of this board.

Hello. I recently found out that Phd is based on research projects that are published in university websites (I may be wrong). So if my interest is not in any of these areas what can I do? Or if there's an area that i am interested in but there are findings that are already published should I go ahead with the application or would that be considered as "not contributing anything new to the field"

My Asian mother completed her PhD while married and pregnant (with me!) I like to think I contributed in utero.
My Asian mother completed her PhD while married and pregnant (with me!) I like to think I contributed in utero.

Omggg this is sooo adorable haha!!
Hello. I recently found out that Phd is based on research projects that are published in university websites (I may be wrong). So if my interest is not in any of these areas what can I do? Or if there's an area that i am interested in but there are findings that are already published should I go ahead with the application or would that be considered as "not contributing anything new to the field"

It depends on what field you are planning to do your PhD in to some extent.

For "arts" fields (e.g. humanities and social sciences) it's actually very normal (and more common) for the PhD applicant to be proposing their own project and a large part of their application will be the research proposal. The big challenge with this is that funding and admissions are decided separately, so while it's (relatively) straightforward to be admitted to the PhD, funding is really hard to get and you need a very strong research proposal to be funded for the PhD.

In STEM fields it's quite common for pre-existing "potted" PhD projects to be advertised, which have the funding already "attached" to the project. So you apply for admission and funding together for those projects typically (although it may be possible you are offered a PhD on the project but it's not the main funded one). However it's entirely possible to apply with your own research proposal for you own project as above.

The main thing to bear in mind though is in either case, you need to find someone willing to supervise you. Often for the "potted" projects in STEM fields a PhD supervisor will already be attached to a project. For a self proposed project, you need to speak with prospective supervisors before applying to get their input into it - whether they can/will supervise you, whether they have any potential tweaks they might expect to be able to supervise the project etc.

Thus it may be the reason there are no projects published in your area of research is that the unis you are looking at don't have anyone working on that area currently, or any active projects in the area. If the latter you can write a research proposal yourself if you can find a suitable staff member to supervise you. If the former though, you will really just need to look at other unis.

The researchers interests are more likely to be the the areas in which they've already advertised the PhD projects... it's going to be harder to find someone to take on your own proposal. Someone like Artful_Lounger may be able to advise you better than I can, but I would suggest starting by researching the lecturers / research suites in various universities and seeing what their interests are, and then approaching them individually to see if they think your proposal is viable and whether or not they're willing to invest in the time / resources to supervise you. This will be harder and longer than taking on an existing proposal mind, as all the funding etc. will already be confirmed in the latter example.

There will be already be work done in most areas, and in the first year there's normally some scope to fine-tune what you're doing (it's not set in stone). By all means state your research interest area, and then you'd have to do a thorough literature review examining all the published work that's already been done in this area and from that, you identify very niche areas that are lacking in research but show potential.... or maybe continuing someone else's work, but taking it in a new direction. Either way, you should have a firm idea of your research area by the end of your first year; your supervisor is there to guide & advise you on that journey.

IMHO, it's worth bearing in mind that a PhD isn't so much a test of intelligence, it's more a test of endurance / commitment.
Being of a certain faith or marital status (or single) shouldn't automatically affect what you can pursue regarding education or career. But if your faith or way of living a married life are restrictive or have certain goals, then this might affect your ability to do certain other things in life.

I think you should be asking yourself what you want your life to look like, as a Muslim, as someone who is married, and what your plans are for the next 5 years regarding your faith and your marriage.

I am an atheist so my understanding of any faith is limited, but I can imagine perhaps the following topics:

* Do you wear a headscarf and do you want to wear it at all times during your studies? Is this going to be an issue in certain situations (maybe your research requires special clothing/gear that might interfere with a headscarf)?

* Do you want to pray a certain number of times every day and will this be at set times, or are you flexible? I had one Muslim undergraduate student when I was a teaching assistant who, on top of her being extremely late to class, at some point just left to "go to the toilet". She was gone for half an hour... I later found out this was to pray and she supposedly lost her way back to class. I found this undesirable in a mandatory 3-h class where people were expected to complete a certain amount of work. I only had her for a few classes so don't know whether she ended up completing the degree, but what appeared to be her attitude of wanting to pray at set times during the day would eventually interfere to an extent that I consider unsustainable. I had a Muslim acquaintance who was also doing an undergraduate degree and he was internally struggling/trying to find out what kind of life he wanted as a Muslim in a western European country. I know that some Muslims choose to have other restrictions on their life, like not shaking hands with someone of the opposite sex, which can become an issue if you meet other people (as a woman I would be offended if a male I meet is unwilling to shake my hand when we are in a Western country; it is different when I choose to go to an Islamic/Muslim majority country, where of course I will adapt and even wear a headscarf if this is considered polite/respectful). In my view, if someone wants to do anything a certain number of times a day at set times, whether this is praying, meditation, yoga, calling their mother, having a cigarette etc, this is going to interfere with their life. My PhD was lab-based. There was no way I could have worked effectively and efficiently whilst also wanting to pray at set times throughout my workday because sometimes you just can't drop what you are doing or you have a meeting with others and you can't just not turn up. It is up to YOU to decide what is more important: praying a certain number of times a day at set times, or putting your professional self first when you are working. No one else can answer this for you. And although it might be possible for certain accommodations to be made for your lifestyle choice, at some point this leniency will have been exhausted. I attended several conferences/training courses and people aren't going to wait for you. If you live in a country where Islam is not the main/national religion, where the main culture/society does not follow the same lifestyle, you need to decide what is more important to you: observing your faith to the level/extent you want, or being flexible in when/how you practice your faith to accommodate your choice to study/work in a culture that is different. I had a co-worker from Iran and she was very practical about how she lived her life in a northern European country: she did wear the Iranian style headscarf as a sign of respect to her country (they paid for her PhD), but as far as I experienced her, she interacted with male coworkers the same way as female coworkers, I never saw her leave to pray, and she joined in on some of the social activities we did in our group despite being a fair bit older than the other PhD students. With regards to the Muslim girl who left my class to pray: I asked her about this (when the other students had all finished and left the class). She was of Turkish origin (but born in Europe) if I remember correctly and she was dressed very modestly. She wanted to observe her faith in a certain way and was even upset there was no specific prayer area in our faculty... The issue is that this faculty building was basically already too small by the time they had finished building it: there were senior academic staff that didn't even get their own office because of this, so I told her that unfortunately a prayer room just wasn't possible. I asked her why, if observing her faith in such a way, she didn't go to Turkey to study, after all, she would have dual nationality and we are talking about tertiary education so we are all (young) adults. Her answer? "I can't do this degree in Turkey." Ok, so then you have made your choice, right?

* Are you planning to take part in Ramadan, and is this possible when you might be working long days? Will you be operating machinery etc. or teaching classes or supervising lab for undergraduates during your PhD and can you do this when you haven't eaten or had anything to drink during the daylight hours?

Regarding your marital status:

* Are you planning to have children in the next few years? If so, I think you need to consider whether this will be a major challenge to do during your PhD. In the UK, PhD is only 3-4 years and I am not sure if and how much accommodation there is for having a child. And even if it is possible to pause your PhD, do you think it will be very hard to come back to it? Do you think that you will WANT to come back to it after having taken care of your baby for 3, 6, 9, 12 months? Do you have daycare to help with child care when you would go back to continue your PhD? Is that available late at night too if you have long days in the lab/doing your research? Would your husband help out a lot with a child? Would it perhaps make more sense to wait with kids until you have finished your PhD? What does your husband want/expect with regards to when you guys have kids? Or maybe you both do not want to have kids, ever?

* Is your husband ok with you having a full professional life in a western country (assuming you are looking to do a PhD in the UK, Europe, USA etc) meaning you will work with both women and men, you might travel with male co-workers to external seminars/conferences (note that you will never be asked to share a bedroom with someone of the opposite sex, but you may be expected to share a bedroom with someone of the same sex, although you could probably get your own room if you were to pay for it yourself)?

* PhD can sometimes put a lot of demands on your time, although some of the people in the lab where I was were always gone by 6 pm, so to some extent it depends on your project, how you work, how much work you choose to put in, how efficient you are with your time, etc. Is your husband going to be ok with you perhaps not cooking dinner every day? Is he ok sharing the burden of housework (cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, gardening) equally with you, or does he expect you to do everything in some of these 'domains'?

Just some things to think about. I hope this helps!
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending