The Student Room Group

british army self harm

will i be able to join the army or even go to afc harrogate with a history of self harm?

i tried searching it up but its not coming up with an answer. i go to cahms and i have tried committing lke 2-3 years ago. the last time i self harmed was last year but recently, i have had an episode where i have been feeling sad alot.

right now i am fine and will be in the future, my mental health has gotten better and i have applied to go to afc harrogate, i still go to cahms though, will that affect me? i have just given in my medival record and am nervous about it
Reply 1
No, you will not be able to join.
I'm not an insider but I would honesty be very surprised if they allowed it. I suspect it would need to be a significantly longer period of no issues like 3-5 years.

The (somewhat blunt) question that comes to me is if you had an episode recently, even a non physical one how would you go about convincing professionals there would be no issues in the future, esp living and working in stressful situations?
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
I'm not an insider but I would honesty be very surprised if they allowed it. I suspect it would need to be a significantly longer period of no issues like 3-5 years.

The (somewhat blunt) question that comes to me is if you had an episode recently, even a non physical one how would you go about convincing professionals there would be no issues in the future, esp living and working in stressful situations?

gutted honestly it sucks tbh since ive always wanted to be in the army and the reason why i self harmed last year was out of my control but i dont do it now and i am getting support.

will there be a possibility of me getting in the army in the future or is there no point
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by GAYYYFAG
gutted honestly is sucks tbh since ive always wanted to be in the army and the reason why i self harmed last year was out of my control but i dont do it now and i am getting support.

will there be a possibility of me getting in the army in the future or is there no point

things may have changed but when I looked into it a few years ago, a history of repeated self-harm meant you couldn't join.
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
things may have changed but when I looked into it a few years ago, a history of repeated self-harm meant you couldn't join.

will i be able to join in the future
or has childhood ****ed up my future chance of being in the army
Reply 6
will i be able to join in the future
or has childhood ****ed up my future chance of being in the army

like I said, repeated self harm meant you couldn't join (ever) when I looked into it, but things may have changed
will i be able to join the army or even go to afc harrogate with a history of self harm?
i tried searching it up but its not coming up with an answer. i go to cahms and i have tried committing lke 2-3 years ago. the last time i self harmed was last year but recently, i have had an episode where i have been feeling sad alot.
right now i am fine and will be in the future, my mental health has gotten better and i have applied to go to afc harrogate, i still go to cahms though, will that affect me? i have just given in my medival record and am nervous about it

To be cleared on the heath test you need to be 2years clear if any mental health issues. I know this from when my mum got denied from the army

Quick Reply

Latest