The Student Room Group

Flatmate with ADHD looks like he's on pills whenever he drinks

Hey, I've just completed my first term of university and found out fairly recently that one of my flat mates has ADHD and takes Ritalin for it and mainly wanted to see if his actions when drinking are related to ADHD or the Ritalin he takes or if its just unlinked. I know he didn't drink too much before university so there's not really anything to compare it to but usually when we end up going out he seems a lot more hyper or just has way more energy and acts pretty irrational and impulsive decisions like walking off to go climb a building or talking a lot but sometimes what he says doesn't even make sense which is another reason why he looks somewhat unstable and just in general he looks like he's on something wayy stronger than the rest of us. I mainly just wanted to know if someone else knows or has a similar reaction with a combination of ADHD and alcohol or if its unrelated.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hey, I've just completed my first term of university and found out fairly recently that one of my flat mates has ADHD and takes Ritalin for it and mainly wanted to see if his actions when drinking are related to ADHD or the Ritalin he takes or if its just unlinked. I know he didn't drink too much before university so there's not really anything to compare it to but usually when we end up going out he seems a lot more hyper or just has way more energy and acts pretty irrational and impulsive decisions like walking off to go climb a building or talking a lot but sometimes what he says doesn't even make sense which is another reason why he looks somewhat unstable and just in general he looks like he's on something wayy stronger than the rest of us. I mainly just wanted to know if someone else knows or has a similar reaction with a combination of ADHD and alcohol or if its unrelated.

Alcohol should not be taken on Ritalin as it can greatly increase the effect of the drug and its side effects.
Your flat mate needs professional help.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #2
Alcohol should not be taken on Ritalin as it can greatly increase the effect of the drug and its side effects.

I'm not sure if he takes it when he drinks on purpose as going out is usually spontaneous. I've only know him for a term so don't want to be prying too much, it's mainly general curiosity
Reply 3

Yup, mentioned here on the NHS website for those interested:
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/methylphenidate-adults/

Methylphenidate for adults-Brand names: Ritalin, Concerta, Delmosart, Equasym, Medikinet

Can I drink alcohol with it?
Try not to drink alcohol while taking methylphenidate. This is because alcohol can increase the effects of methylphenidate and make you more likely to get side effects.
Is there any food or drink I need to avoid?
Apart from alcohol, there’s no particular food or drink you need to be careful with when taking methylphenidate.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 0le
Yup, mentioned here on the NHS website for those interested:
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/methylphenidate-adults/

I assume I'm not really in the position to say that it's bad to do both at the same time if it potentially may not be in purpose and as I've only known him a term though, I don't want to phrase it badly which is the issue.

Considering he's on medication he's clearly already got professional help.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I assume I'm not really in the position to say that it's bad to do both at the same time if it potentially may not be in purpose and as I've only known him a term though, I don't want to phrase it badly which is the issue.

Just say it as it is. He sound's unstable.
People with ADHD are usually in a state of constantly suppressing their impulsive tendencies in day to day life.

Overtime, they get much better at this to the point that their impulsivity is almost unnoticeable especially with medication.

When he drinks, he stops suppressing his tendencies and reverts to what he would be if he didn’t consciously control his impulses.

This is why ADHD is considered a disorder - the behaviour it causes is extremely irrational and sometimes dangerous.

Quick Reply

Latest