The Student Room Group

What should I do if stuck between these 2 careers

What should I do if stuck between 2 careers I wanna be so I got two in mind pharmacist and financial advisor btw wanna study both at UoM Mpharm (Pharmacy),BAEcon Economics & Finance (Financial Advisor) which 3 a levels should I pick btw hate maths and physics gonna pick either psychology or economics as my third a level subject which is better and related to both which will give me higher chance and also picking chem and bio???
Hi,

It’s okay to be stuck, you’d be surprised how many people find themselves in a similar position. To make things easier later in your application it would be best if you discovered for which you have a greater preference- I suggest you evaluate the reasons why you like each of them and consider the difficulty of the courses. Pharmacy is a masters degree- you might want to consider this.

When picking your A levels, primarily you want to select the A levels that are required of each course. You can find these in the course pages of your selected universities. I can’t speak much for Economics and Finance but I’m aware most pharmacy courses require A level Biology and Chemistry, so you’d have to ensure you choose those A levels. If, say economics and finance requires math, math would have to be your third choice to ensure you are able to apply for both courses. If the requirements match those of pharmacy or if there are no specific requirements, you are free to choose your third a level. Economics may be seen as desirable given that it relates to the degree, and it will likely make learning in the course a little easier. However, the university can’t discriminate against you if you choose psychology is they haven’t specific used A level economics as a requirement. A levels can be quite stressful so I recommend choosing an A level that you enjoy, outside of that which are required of you.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
So from my info which do you think is the right suitable one that was my question aqa a level economics or aqa a level psychology???

Original post by ieatfoodtocope
Hi,

It’s okay to be stuck, you’d be surprised how many people find themselves in a similar position. To make things easier later in your application it would be best if you discovered for which you have a greater preference- I suggest you evaluate the reasons why you like each of them and consider the difficulty of the courses. Pharmacy is a masters degree- you might want to consider this.

When picking your A levels, primarily you want to select the A levels that are required of each course. You can find these in the course pages of your selected universities. I can’t speak much for Economics and Finance but I’m aware most pharmacy courses require A level Biology and Chemistry, so you’d have to ensure you choose those A levels. If, say economics and finance requires math, math would have to be your third choice to ensure you are able to apply for both courses. If the requirements match those of pharmacy or if there are no specific requirements, you are free to choose your third a level. Economics may be seen as desirable given that it relates to the degree, and it will likely make learning in the course a little easier. However, the university can’t discriminate against you if you choose psychology is they haven’t specific used A level economics as a requirement. A levels can be quite stressful so I recommend choosing an A level that you enjoy, outside of that which are required of you.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by aryc_30
So from my info which do you think is the right suitable one that was my question aqa a level economics or aqa a level psychology???

I can’t decide that for you, that’s up to you. *Economics may help you more* if you end up doing finance, but if it’s not required if you you may be better off doing psychology if you find you enjoy it more. If you engage with the subject more you may end up scoring higher, and at the end of the day the uni is going to see your grades. They won’t care what it’s in as long as you’ve met the requirements. It really is up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest