The Student Room Group

Interview at Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn

Hello,
I have been offered an interview at the Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn for the Bar Scholarship after a paper sift. I know I have to prepare an oral presentation, which I have done. However, I was wondering whether you can tell me from experience what the interview was like, what questions you were asked?
I am also open to any recommendations and tips for the interview.

Many thanks in advance!
Original post by alexandrova01
Hello,
I have been offered an interview at the Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn for the Bar Scholarship after a paper sift. I know I have to prepare an oral presentation, which I have done. However, I was wondering whether you can tell me from experience what the interview was like, what questions you were asked?
I am also open to any recommendations and tips for the interview.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi @alexandrova01

I didn't interview with Lincoln's but did with Gray's and got a BPC scholarship so I doubt they are much different. My interview consisted of a legal exercise where they gave me a question ten minutes before and then I had to present my argument (I think Lincoln's don't do this but have the oral presentation instead) 🙂
I was then asked quite standard questions such as:
> Why do you want to be a barrister?
> What area of law do you want to practice in and why?
> What is the best bit of advocacy you have seen?
> What is the greatest challenge you have faced?
> Why should you be given the scholarship?

I was then also asked some questions on current legal topics so I would have an eye on the news so that you can argue something about that. Also, do not be surprised if they then ask you to argue the other side so always be prepared to know the pros and cons of both arguments.

I would make sure to prep answers to things like that using the STAR method (situation, task, action, result) and then you will be able to have nice rounded answers. Also, as a general tip, stay calm and confident. You made it through the paper sift for a reason so just go for it!

Good luck!

S
Reply 2
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @alexandrova01

I didn't interview with Lincoln's but did with Gray's and got a BPC scholarship so I doubt they are much different. My interview consisted of a legal exercise where they gave me a question ten minutes before and then I had to present my argument (I think Lincoln's don't do this but have the oral presentation instead) 🙂
I was then asked quite standard questions such as:
> Why do you want to be a barrister?
> What area of law do you want to practice in and why?
> What is the best bit of advocacy you have seen?
> What is the greatest challenge you have faced?
> Why should you be given the scholarship?

I was then also asked some questions on current legal topics so I would have an eye on the news so that you can argue something about that. Also, do not be surprised if they then ask you to argue the other side so always be prepared to know the pros and cons of both arguments.

I would make sure to prep answers to things like that using the STAR method (situation, task, action, result) and then you will be able to have nice rounded answers. Also, as a general tip, stay calm and confident. You made it through the paper sift for a reason so just go for it!

Good luck!

S
Thank you very much for your help and tips, It is very helpful and insightful, thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending