The Student Room Group

Do I still have a chance for dentistry?

Hi, I’m a year 12 student and wondering whether I still have a chance due to my GCSES. I am currently doing biology chemistry and psychology and an EPQ.
GCSE:

Maths:6
English lit: 6
Business:L2M
Combined science:76
English Lang:7
Citizenship:7
Religious studies: 9
Spanish : 7

I am currently thinking about applying to:
University of Leeds- require 6’s, applicable for contextual offer
Newcastle: 100% UCAT weighting
Queen Mary: always wanted to study in London and they require 777666 for GCSES
Plymouth :
7 passes at GCSE
Thoughts and advice?
yess! most universities for dentistry ask for AAA - ABB so as long as your A-Level predicteds are strong I think you’ll be fine 💓
Reply 2
Original post by blktoothfairy
yess! most universities for dentistry ask for AAA - ABB so as long as your A-Level predicteds are strong I think you’ll be fine 💓

Okayy thankyouu!
Reply 3
What about me
Im in y12 alevel bio chem and pych aswell as as level core maths predicted an A
Rs : 8
Citizenship : 8
Science : 7-6
Eng lang : 6
Maths : 6
Eng lit : 5
Arabic : 5
geo : 5
Dt : 5
Comp sci : 5
I want to apply to
Leeds : 6 6s at gcse
Plymouth : 7 passes
Newcastle : ucat heavy
Qmul: 777666
I can have contexual offer for leeds
(edited 2 months ago)
may need to rethink newcastle they have introduced gcse scoring this year pretty sure its worth 50% im not sure if its for dentistry as well maybe a good idea to email them
Original post by Smsee
Hi, I’m a year 12 student and wondering whether I still have a chance due to my GCSES. I am currently doing biology chemistry and psychology and an EPQ.
GCSE:

Plymouth :
7 passes at GCSE
Thoughts and advice?

Hi there! 🙂

I'm a current University of Plymouth student and, although I don't study this course, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about Plymouth/student life/university in general!

We also have two dental students on our Unibuddy page available to chat to and answer any of your subject specific questions, so I'd recommend having a chat with them about dentistry and whether it's right for you! If you'd like to ask our admissions team any questions on entry requirements you can email them here too: [email protected]

Best of luck and let me know if I can help out in any way! 😀

-Alfie, University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Plymouth Undergraduate Student Rep
Original post by Smsee
GCSE:

Plymouth :
7 passes at GCSE
Thoughts and advice?

Hi there! 🙂

I'm a current University of Plymouth student and, although I don't study this course, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about Plymouth/student life/university in general!

We also have two dental students on our Unibuddy page available to chat to and answer any of your subject specific questions, so I'd recommend having a chat with them about dentistry and whether it's right for you! If you'd like to ask our admissions team any questions on entry requirements you can email them here too: [email protected]

Hi! Thankyou so much. The questions I have are:
1.) do you know how Plymouth rank applicants for interviews
2.) what is studying at Plymouth like in terms of things to do in the city
Thanks again:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by lilysilly_5454
may need to rethink newcastle they have introduced gcse scoring this year pretty sure its worth 50% im not sure if its for dentistry as well maybe a good idea to email them
Ty
Original post by Smsee
GCSE:

Plymouth :
7 passes at GCSE
Thoughts and advice?
You may need to reconsider Leeds. Although they say they require 6s at GCSEs this is not the cause, at least for medicine. For medicine they require you to have all 9s and 8s and historically people who don’t have this got rejected including myself. However this may be different for dentistry so I suggest you take a look around on dentistry threads to see
Reply 9
Original post by Smsee
GCSE:

Plymouth :
7 passes at GCSE
Thoughts and advice?
You have a great chance in dentistry! Now just focus on aiming for A*AA for your predicted grades and getting at least 2400 in UCAT with min band 3 SJT. For this i would say use medify and practise every day until your exam. Good Luck!
Reply 10
Original post by Harigowre
Original post by Smsee
GCSE:

Plymouth :
7 passes at GCSE
Thoughts and advice?
You have a great chance in dentistry! Now just focus on aiming for A*AA for your predicted grades and getting at least 2400 in UCAT with min band 3 SJT. For this i would say use medify and practise every day until your exam. Good Luck!

Thankyou!
Original post by Smsee
GCSE:

Plymouth :
7 passes at GCSE
Thoughts and advice?
Your GCSEs are not competitive so you’ll need to apply to unis that don’t care about gcses as much , therefore you should get a high ucat and high a level predictions so you can apply to unis that prioritise those
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Smsee
Hi there! 🙂

Hi! Thankyou so much. The questions I have are:
1.) do you know how Plymouth rank applicants for interviews
2.) what is studying at Plymouth like in terms of things to do in the city
Thanks again:smile:Hi there! 🙂

Unfortunately I don't know how the interview rankings work, so I'd recommend contacting the university directly about this [email protected]. There are plenty of things to do in the city and it's one of the main things that drew me to study at Plymouth! There's plenty of entertainment, restaurants, bars, cafés, restaurants, study spots, great places to walk around, and a good night life! Definitely something for everyone and I'm sure you'd always have something to do in Plymouth!

Best of luck! 😀

Quick Reply

Latest