The Student Room Group

Chrisiscrisis

How do you find a way Too get a social security number changed if you never new the original.
Original post by Ckoser1
How do you find a way Too get a social security number changed if you never new the original.

If you weren't aware of your original social security number, you can't have provided it anybody. So why do you need to change it? Surely you just need to find out what it is?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

If you weren't aware of your original social security number, you can't have provided it anybody. So why do you need to change it? Surely you just need to find out what it is?

Because I asked a social worker to help me and he said my number that is on the copy of my social security card is the same number that he gave me but it doesn't work for anything else but what he help me with. Now nobody has the copy anywhere.
Reply 3
Original post by Ckoser1

Because I asked a social worker to help me and he said my number that is on the copy of my social security card is the same number that he gave me but it doesn't work for anything else but what he help me with. Now nobody has the copy anywhere.

I have never been able to get a social security card because I never knew my number
Original post by Ckoser1

Original post by Ckoser1
I have never been able to get a social security card because I never knew my number

You said above that your social worker has given you your social security number. But you also say that you never knew the number. How can both of these statements be accurate? If he gave you it, then you knew it. You may not know it now, but you had it at one point - because you social worker gave you it.

Does your social security card have anything written on it? For example:
"not valid for employment"
"valid for work only with DHS authorization"
"valid for work only with INS authorization"

If so, then perhaps that's what you mean when you say "it doesn't work for anything else"?

According to Can I change my Social Security number?, "To request a different Social Security number, contact your local Social Security office for an in-person appointment." (There are limited justifications for the SSA assigning a new number.)

Also note that they have a Replace Social Security card page, where you can answer a few questions to apply for a free replacement card. (I know you said you need a new number, not a new card - I'm just trying to give you a few options.)

By the way, all the above is predicated on the assumption that you're in the US as that's the only place I know that uses Social Security numbers. If you're elsewhere, please let us know.
Reply 5
I guess I have two identidies and the one I need I can't get back.
Reply 6
The only person who had the number was telling me that it was hard to read it because it was a copy of the original one that was in bad shape. So he told me a different number and it worked but it doesn't work for anything else.
Original post by Ckoser1
The only person who had the number was telling me that it was hard to read it because it was a copy of the original one that was in bad shape. So he told me a different number and it worked but it doesn't work for anything else.

Ah, that makes more sense - the number is difficult to read from the card. In that case, definitely contact your local Social Security office (or just request a replacement card). Links in the post above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending