The Student Room Group

A level Italian Independent Research Project

Hello everyone,
I'm doing Edexcel A Level italian, I need some help on this independent research project. I'm unsure on what it means when they're asking I provide a statement, and aldo what type of written sources. My school has allowed me to do this as I am a native speaker, but unfortunately I will have no teacher guidance so I'm a little stuck and worried about making any mistakes. Does anyone have any tips?
I’m doing Italian A-Level as well, basically you should pick an Italian-specific topic to focus on, such as an Italian fashion designer, food, etc, and write a 2 min presentation on it, with 2 sources within the presentation to show where you’ve done your research. Then your examiner will have a discussion with you for 10 mins on your presentation. Not sure if I explained this well lmk if you need more advice **.
Original post by sandiaduzzi
I’m doing Italian A-Level as well, basically you should pick an Italian-specific topic to focus on, such as an Italian fashion designer, food, etc, and write a 2 min presentation on it, with 2 sources within the presentation to show where you’ve done your research. Then your examiner will have a discussion with you for 10 mins on your presentation. Not sure if I explained this well lmk if you need more advice **.
Oh my goodness, thank you so much you have been a great help really. When you say presentation do you mean something like a power point presentation or does it have to be a word document? And I'm presenting this to the examiner on paper correct? I read the specification and it said something about two written sources so this means things like magazines and news papers but would written sources online work as well? I also read something about a statement/question to base it on do you have any examples that I could refer from? Also if it's not too much trouble do you know where I would be able to find model essays for paper 2 I'm not entirely sure on the level of analysis that they're looking for. I'm really sorry for asking so many questions 😔
Original post by Lydia Sarpong
Oh my goodness, thank you so much you have been a great help really. When you say presentation do you mean something like a power point presentation or does it have to be a word document? And I'm presenting this to the examiner on paper correct? I read the specification and it said something about two written sources so this means things like magazines and news papers but would written sources online work as well? I also read something about a statement/question to base it on do you have any examples that I could refer from? Also if it's not too much trouble do you know where I would be able to find model essays for paper 2 I'm not entirely sure on the level of analysis that they're looking for. I'm really sorry for asking so many questions 😔
Oh sorry I didn't make it clear, so your 2 min presentation has to be memorised when you do your exam, and it's not a pwp just a generic presentation on the topic you picked like a speech kind of that you have to memorise which is a pain. And for my written sources I just used two links online like I named the websites I used which I'm p sure is fine. Here's some ideas for what you could base your IRP on, https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Italian/2017/teaching-learning-materials/Ideas-for-independent-research-project-Italian.pdf . I did mine on a specific dialect/language from where my family's from in Italy. And what book and film are you doing for P2?? I don't mind the questions at all, I just hope it's useful :smile:
Oh wow so you have to memorise the presentation I had no idea, thank you so much you are such a great help. For paper 2 the book I'm doing is senza sangue by Alessandro Baricco and the film I cento passi. To be honest paper 2 is the one I'm most worried about do you have any tips on that? Anything on structure, grammar, spelling anything at all. Thank you so much for all the information you are such a wonderful person really I am so grateful.
Oh sorry I didn't make it clear, so your 2 min presentation has to be memorised when you do your exam, and it's not a pwp just a generic presentation on the topic you picked like a speech kind of that you have to memorise which is a pain. And for my written sources I just used two links online like I named the websites I used which I'm p sure is fine. Here's some ideas for what you could base your IRP on, https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Italian/2017/teaching-learning-materials/Ideas-for-independent-research-project-Italian.pdf . I did mine on a specific dialect/language from where my family's from in Italy. And what book and film are you doing for P2?? I don't mind the questions at all, I just hope it's useful :smile:
Do you also happen to know where I could find examples of questions they could ask in paper 3 part 1 on themes?
Original post by Lydia Sarpong
Oh wow so you have to memorise the presentation I had no idea, thank you so much you are such a great help. For paper 2 the book I'm doing is senza sangue by Alessandro Baricco and the film I cento passi. To be honest paper 2 is the one I'm most worried about do you have any tips on that? Anything on structure, grammar, spelling anything at all. Thank you so much for all the information you are such a wonderful person really I am so grateful.
I'm not doing those so I can't give you specific examples for those texts and films, but I'd take a look at specific exam mark scheme and examiner reports so you can see what they're looking for. It's meant to be ab 300-350 words, the examiner will still read on but I would try not to write much more, I typically write about 400 words for mine. More words = more chance at mistakes, and quality is better than quantity, and don't worry about counting the words, 400 words for me is nearly a page so just base it off that and don't waste time in the exam double-checking the word count. Instead, if you have more time just keep checking through, I usually check through mine around 2/3 times depending on the amount of time I have because I always make mistakes. Structurally, I'd try make a plan before you start writing, and focus on two or three specific examples to talk about. I don't have too many grammar tips, but try memorise some quotes from both the film and book to talk about, and maybe subject-specific vocab, like for the film you could mention different angles, lighting, colours etc. Also, don't be too descriptive: just mention the example and explain it and link it to the q. My teacher told me to do it like PEE: Point, Evidence, Explain in each paragraph, to make sure you have everything you need in one para. For paper three I'm not sure where you could find examples of questions, I've been trying to avoid it lolol. But if you know the themes I'd try have some general statistics for each one to show your cultural understanding.
I'm not doing those so I can't give you specific examples for those texts and films, but I'd take a look at specific exam mark scheme and examiner reports so you can see what they're looking for. It's meant to be ab 300-350 words, the examiner will still read on but I would try not to write much more, I typically write about 400 words for mine. More words = more chance at mistakes, and quality is better than quantity, and don't worry about counting the words, 400 words for me is nearly a page so just base it off that and don't waste time in the exam double-checking the word count. Instead, if you have more time just keep checking through, I usually check through mine around 2/3 times depending on the amount of time I have because I always make mistakes. Structurally, I'd try make a plan before you start writing, and focus on two or three specific examples to talk about. I don't have too many grammar tips, but try memorise some quotes from both the film and book to talk about, and maybe subject-specific vocab, like for the film you could mention different angles, lighting, colours etc. Also, don't be too descriptive: just mention the example and explain it and link it to the q. My teacher told me to do it like PEE: Point, Evidence, Explain in each paragraph, to make sure you have everything you need in one para. For paper three I'm not sure where you could find examples of questions, I've been trying to avoid it lolol. But if you know the themes I'd try have some general statistics for each one to show your cultural understanding.
Thank you so much for all the tips and advice you are such a great help. Doing this all on my own made me anxious but you helped me a lot thank you I'm really grateful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending