The Student Room Group

Urgent!! A Level Italian IRP speaking exam

Hi could anyone please help me with the structure of the Independent Research Project part of the A level Italian (edexcel) speaking exam? my speaking exam is in 2 months and I'm really confused and my school doesn't teach this subject so I have to prepare myself (they allowed me to do this as I'm a native speaker) and the specification doesn't provide instructions on how to lay out the presentation.
(edited 1 year ago)
I did german Edexcel and I had to have 2 sources supporting my argument in the intro so I first just explain what I researched what the sources said and then my opinion. After I Chose 5 questions in relation to my topic and then wrote answers to them
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bloograpefroot
I did german Edexcel and I had to have 2 sources supporting my argument in the intro so I first just explain what I researched what the sources said and then my opinion. After I Chose 5 questions in relation to my topic and then wrote answers to them

Thank you for explaining! It's a bit more clear but if you don't mind me asking, what was your argument so then I know more or less what the presentation needs to be on like I wanted to do fashion in Italy but do I have to write something more specific like how Italian fashion has been/ is one of the most influential/popular?
Original post by Kelvin T
Hello, contact me so that i can help you with that

Hi, it won't let me contact you as I have recently joined TheStudentRoom :frown:
Am currently doing French AQA.
Try to think of the presentation just as an opening to give a flavour of what you'd like to talk about. As bloograpefruit said pick some subquestions (ideally between 4-6 (some exam boards ask you to submit these)) and mention these whilst giving a limited response to them in your presentation, the examiner will then ask you questions to elaborate in the discussion afterwards. We are told to pick provocative questions, ideally 'to what extent is X...?'.
You could for example do something along the lines of (I know literally nothing about Italian fashion)
'To what extent is Italy the most fashionable country in the world?'
With subquestions/points being:
-The influence of history/tradition on italian fashion
- The dominance of italian high fashion brands
- How does the average person dress?
- Has italian fashion changed in line with globalisation?
- Which countries could challenge Italy on this?

Because the presentation is so short it is very difficult to get anything of value in there as you are hopping between sub-topics.
Original post by not a room
Am currently doing French AQA.
Try to think of the presentation just as an opening to give a flavour of what you'd like to talk about. As bloograpefruit said pick some subquestions (ideally between 4-6 (some exam boards ask you to submit these)) and mention these whilst giving a limited response to them in your presentation, the examiner will then ask you questions to elaborate in the discussion afterwards. We are told to pick provocative questions, ideally 'to what extent is X...?'.
You could for example do something along the lines of (I know literally nothing about Italian fashion)
'To what extent is Italy the most fashionable country in the world?'
With subquestions/points being:
-The influence of history/tradition on italian fashion
- The dominance of italian high fashion brands
- How does the average person dress?
- Has italian fashion changed in line with globalisation?
- Which countries could challenge Italy on this?

Because the presentation is so short it is very difficult to get anything of value in there as you are hopping between sub-topics.

Thank you so so much, this is very helpful!!
Original post by _katelynnicola
Thank you for explaining! It's a bit more clear but if you don't mind me asking, what was your argument so then I know more or less what the presentation needs to be on like I wanted to do fashion in Italy but do I have to write something more specific like how Italian fashion has been/ is one of the most influential/popular?

Mine was along the lines of what extent is right wing extremism increasing in young people and I think the fashion question is good but you can be more specific idk like a designer or trend etc. both my sources argued reasons why they have increased. The questions to support my answer surrounded immigration and like political issues and how social media has affected this so they like somewhat broaden the topic
Hi could anyone please help me with the structure of the Independent Research Project part of the A level Italian (edexcel) speaking exam? my speaking exam is in 2 months and I'm really confused and my school doesn't teach this subject so I have to prepare myself (they allowed me to do this as I'm a native speaker) and the specification doesn't provide instructions on how to lay out the presentation.

Look at Pearsons edexcel specification: Task 2: part 1 - 2 mins max on two written sources followed by part 2 conversation involving Q & A widening discussion. Total time 10-11 mins.
Reply 8

Completely unrelated, but I am sitting italian A level this year too. how you revising for the exam tommorow and also the structure and stuff for writing?
Reply 9
for tomorrow's exam, i just did all the past papers there are to understand how the paper is, what we're expected to do and how well i do in them so if you haven't done them, i suggest doing those, which you can find on the pearson edexcel website under the section of "exam materials".
For paper 2, i don't know much but what i do know is that the essay is structured:
introduction
you then do 2-3 paragraphs using the structure (PEA - point, evidence, analysis)
conclusion
my brother told me that in the introduction you can briefly mention when the play was written and why but he said that you can do that in a level AQA spanish so i'm not sure if that would get you any marks in edexcel italian but if it's relevant, I would include it just to have extra stuff written.
Also they say to write approximately 350 words but i would write more to ensure you do enough analysis (you don't get marked down for writing more but just make sure that everything is grammatically correct)

What film and book did you choose?
Reply 10
for tomorrow's exam, i just did all the past papers there are to understand how the paper is, what we're expected to do and how well i do in them so if you haven't done them, i suggest doing those, which you can find on the pearson edexcel website under the section of "exam materials".
For paper 2, i don't know much but what i do know is that the essay is structured:
introduction
you then do 2-3 paragraphs using the structure (PEA - point, evidence, analysis)
conclusion
my brother told me that in the introduction you can briefly mention when the play was written and why but he said that you can do that in a level AQA spanish so i'm not sure if that would get you any marks in edexcel italian but if it's relevant, I would include it just to have extra stuff written.
Also they say to write approximately 350 words but i would write more to ensure you do enough analysis (you don't get marked down for writing more but just make sure that everything is grammatically correct)

What film and book did you choose?

Thanks thats very helpful! Iv'e already done all the past papers for todays exam its just that there are only a very limited few.
The structure is basically what I use but do you have a counter point in there or all of the points in favour?
Im doing La vita e' bella and volevo i pantaloni, hbu?
Good luck with the exam today!!
Original post by marioo222
Thanks thats very helpful! Iv'e already done all the past papers for todays exam its just that there are only a very limited few.
The structure is basically what I use but do you have a counter point in there or all of the points in favour?
Im doing La vita e' bella and volevo i pantaloni, hbu?
Good luck with the exam today!!

i'm glad i could help :smile: i'm not sure actually... i'll ask a teacher that teaches edexcel a level and i'll get back to you as soon as she replies! ohh i'm doing that film too and the book Jack Frusciante è uscito dal gruppo. Thank you! i think it went well, how did you find it?
i'm glad i could help :smile: i'm not sure actually... i'll ask a teacher that teaches edexcel a level and i'll get back to you as soon as she replies! ohh i'm doing that film too and the book Jack Frusciante è uscito dal gruppo. Thank you! i think it went well, how did you find it?

hi, if the question is "to what extent" you would make a counter point as well but it depends on how the question is

Quick Reply

Latest