The Student Room Group

English speaking GCSE part of language exam - help

hi, I hope you all are doing well.

I will be having English speaking exam in about 3 days as a part of English gcse. I am really worried as I am really shy, quiet and nervous because I have not spoken in front of people before, specially in English. I have to give a speech in front of class on any topic and my teacher will ask me some questions. I am so tensed and worried how I am going to speak, I am worried that I don't say something wrong or I don't speak differently. please help me how to prepare for English specking exam.

THANKS
The best thing you can do it realise that it doesn't really matter. For one, if you have even a somewhat good seech prepared, and you manage to get most of your points accross, it is very hard to get less than a merit. You can definitly get a distinction even with a lot of stuttering and pauses, but the more confident you can appear the better.
However, my main point is this: imagine watching someone do terribly in their presentation; complete trainwreck. Would you care? How long would you even remember it for? Trust me when I say, your classmates will not care at all about your speech and will just be waiting to get theirs over with, and for this reason you should not feel worried about messing up.
Lastly, as long as you pass it (which i can guarantee you will if you deliver anything along the lines of a presentation), you actual grade will pretty much never be cared about be employers or universities.
Therefore, you should keep in mind that even if it feels like you're failing or 'blanking', its ok to stutter or take a pause, as noone actually cares and you will still get a decent grade.
Original post by Harman Kaur
hi, I hope you all are doing well.

I will be having English speaking exam in about 3 days as a part of English gcse. I am really worried as I am really shy, quiet and nervous because I have not spoken in front of people before, specially in English. I have to give a speech in front of class on any topic and my teacher will ask me some questions. I am so tensed and worried how I am going to speak, I am worried that I don't say something wrong or I don't speak differently. please help me how to prepare for English specking exam.

THANKS
whats your topic that you have chosen.

like the other comment has said. this speech isn;t too much of a hassle but it isn't hard to get a distinction
Original post by imco143900
The best thing you can do it realise that it doesn't really matter. For one, if you have even a somewhat good seech prepared, and you manage to get most of your points accross, it is very hard to get less than a merit. You can definitly get a distinction even with a lot of stuttering and pauses, but the more confident you can appear the better.
However, my main point is this: imagine watching someone do terribly in their presentation; complete trainwreck. Would you care? How long would you even remember it for? Trust me when I say, your classmates will not care at all about your speech and will just be waiting to get theirs over with, and for this reason you should not feel worried about messing up.
Lastly, as long as you pass it (which i can guarantee you will if you deliver anything along the lines of a presentation), you actual grade will pretty much never be cared about be employers or universities.
Therefore, you should keep in mind that even if it feels like you're failing or 'blanking', its ok to stutter or take a pause, as noone actually cares and you will still get a decent grade.
thank you so much, you have given me confidence
Original post by jacksmith23
whats your topic that you have chosen.

like the other comment has said. this speech isn;t too much of a hassle but it isn't hard to get a distinction
I am not sure, but I think I will do about global warming.
Original post by Harman Kaur
I am not sure, but I think I will do about global warming.
mack it wacky, something you like. after all, you should have some passion. I'm pretty sure someone got a distinction on why you should date me. so why not do something that interest. of course if global warming does interest you then you do you.

also do prepare cards/slides I;m not sure how you school does it.

Quick Reply

Latest