The Student Room Group

opinions on A Level geography

hi hello
so i take A Level geography for some reason and well uh i don't really like it.
geography used to be my favourite subject ever since i started school aged 4 and i really liked it at GCSE. but for reasons beyond me i just cannot stand it at A Level.
It is partly because of the infinite number of goddamn case studies i need to memorise as well as the essays i have to write. (i spent like 3 hours on my last 16 marker 😫) and also because i don't really like the topics we are studying (i cringe when i hear my teacher say place making 😭)

so i guess i'm just hoping someone here can relate to me or better, offer me some words of wisdom or encouragement. pls bcoz it is much needed!! i'm having a mental breakdown cos i want to drop geog so so much but i can't as i do FM as my 4th A Level. my grades have nothing to do with this - I'm predicted an A* and i got an A in my mock (wanna do better next time cos an A ain't good enough for my standards)
Original post by alberw21
hi hello
so i take A Level geography for some reason and well uh i don't really like it.
geography used to be my favourite subject ever since i started school aged 4 and i really liked it at GCSE. but for reasons beyond me i just cannot stand it at A Level.
It is partly because of the infinite number of goddamn case studies i need to memorise as well as the essays i have to write. (i spent like 3 hours on my last 16 marker 😫) and also because i don't really like the topics we are studying (i cringe when i hear my teacher say place making 😭)

so i guess i'm just hoping someone here can relate to me or better, offer me some words of wisdom or encouragement. pls bcoz it is much needed!! i'm having a mental breakdown cos i want to drop geog so so much but i can't as i do FM as my 4th A Level. my grades have nothing to do with this - I'm predicted an A* and i got an A in my mock (wanna do better next time cos an A ain't good enough for my standards)

For me I quite like Geography, although I went into A-levels with it being my favourite and as I am nearing the end of year 12 it is definitely my least favourite. I do also hate having to write essays, and I can never seem to write enough for a 20 marker. I don't really have any advice, but I do kind of relate.
Reply 2
I did geog and fm at a-level too! I don't really see people that do both of them that often. I totally crammed case study info before the exams but I realised as long as you get the arguments from the case studies through, you don't need to memorise too much, just some key details like dates, stats etc. I used to write every single case study for each topic onto one side of A4 so I could look at all of them at once and compare the differences.

Although I never really lost my interest in geography after all that (it's one of the subjects in my joint degree at uni), I totally relate to the essay writing... even at uni now I can never think of enough points and explain them for an essay... I take forever to write like 500 words. Sigh. Something must have possessed me in the A-level exams to write so much for 33 markers.
Original post by fluous
I did geog and fm at a-level too! I don't really see people that do both of them that often. I totally crammed case study info before the exams but I realised as long as you get the arguments from the case studies through, you don't need to memorise too much, just some key details like dates, stats etc. I used to write every single case study for each topic onto one side of A4 so I could look at all of them at once and compare the differences.

Although I never really lost my interest in geography after all that (it's one of the subjects in my joint degree at uni), I totally relate to the essay writing... even at uni now I can never think of enough points and explain them for an essay... I take forever to write like 500 words. Sigh. Something must have possessed me in the A-level exams to write so much for 33 markers.

out of curiosity how much did you write for the 16 markers at a level?
Reply 4
Original post by alberw21
out of curiosity how much did you write for the 16 markers at a level?

I would say max 2 sides of A4.
Original post by fluous

ok thanks - i think i need to start writing less cos atm i'm writing 2.5-3 sides of a4
Original post by fluous

I know I'm a bit late to the conversation but how much marks were you rewarded for two sides of an a4. I just can't seem to write everything in two pages and when I do my marks come down.
Reply 7
Original post by Totallyridic
I know I'm a bit late to the conversation but how much marks were you rewarded for two sides of an a4. I just can't seem to write everything in two pages and when I do my marks come down.

Well I normally got something close to max (16) if written well enough. Of course it totally depends on how big your handwriting is though. If you're comfortable writing that much in the time allocated then it's fine.

Quick Reply

Latest