The Student Room Group

Maths help

Idk how to revise maths anymore, I practise everyday and use mathsgenie and all those websites and bang out past papers always but I can never manage to get more than a 7, and I need an 8. How can I do better in maths????
Hello! I'm a year 9 who went from a 6+ to 8-, expected an 8 at end of years. Maths has been a struggle for me but hopefully I can help you. So I am going to give you some tips to get better and then tell you how I revise. So , in class , don't be afraid to ask for help. I am a mix of an introvert + extrovert and I found Maths teacher's scary so I didn't ask for help when I was stuck in Yr 7. Now I do. When I'm doing a task I ask the teacher for help instead of when everyone is listening to them so then I'm not embarrassed about feeling stupid. They are usually happy to help you. Also don't highlight everything- just highlight key examples in your book so you can find them easily. Finally, try and focus. We are allowed to sit anywhere we want and I used to sit next to a really good friend this year. Then my grades went down . This was because we always used to talk. For me , I really need to focus in maths but she could talk and work at the same time which I couldn't do. Now I sit next to a friend who isn't as close but it is much better because we can both focus and ask each other for help when needed.

Ok , so how I revise:

I RAG(Red, Amber , Green) all my topics that I have done in class and on tests. This helps you see what you are good at e.g( Red-I did badly in the test- I don't understand this), (Amber- I'm okay at this but need some practise ) , Green ( I am really god at this and find it easy)

I start working from the red topics do the green ones.

I make some notes on formulas and key ideas but you don't need many so keep it short and simple.

Then I do some questions e.g corbettmaths, mathswatch, mathgenie , physics and maths tutor on the topics. Do questions you don't know the answer to as well and use google lens to get the answer off brainly... this is where people answer your questions. Write the solution by the question and highlight the question because you didn't understand it . Highlight the questions you found the trickiest, try and come back to them every few days to see if you gain more understanding.

When you have gone through all the questions and topics, write down all the rules that you remember, e.g formulas, how you work out percentage decrease ....for instance. Then go back to all the questions you have highlighted and hopefully you now understand them.

You need to gain an understanding on what test questions are like for different topics because this is really helpful as you can see lots of similarities.

So basically this is I do a short test with a question on all of the topics before my test. I would recommend getting a revision maths book to keep all your revision together-you can get a pack of 5 for a few pounds off eBay.

I recently discovered this video which is useful in your calculator exams- it gives you tips and ticks on getting the answer for you on a calculator. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Qgh9eKKwA

Hope this helps +good luck on your exams!:grin:
PS: This deleted and I had to re type so please excuse the bad grammar.
PPS: I do not go to a grammar or private school so don't think you can only achieve high marks by going to one. If you really persevere you can get the top marks. However , if you are really struggling maybe you could get a tutot(I don't have one so I don't know how good they are personally but it might help you).

Quick Reply

Latest