The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Worried about the Durham housing crisis 2023 applicant

Hi,

I’ve applied to Durham university and it is currently my top choice because I like the course and the location the most out of all of my choices. I’ve received an offer but I’m a bit worried about firming it because of the housing crisis and I’m now considering firming elsewhere, especially considering I’m don’t have a great financial background.

I know that other universities also are dealing with housing crises but I’ve heard significantly more issues with Durham than other universities. Should I be worried about housing and struggling financially? And what had/is the university doing to aid the situation?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by clessiec
Hi,

I’ve applied to Durham university and it is currently my top choice because I like the course and the location the most out of all of my choices. I’ve received an offer but I’m a bit worried about firming it because of the housing crisis and I’m now considering firming elsewhere, especially considering I’m don’t have a great financial background.

I know that other universities also are dealing with housing crises but I’ve heard significantly more issues with Durham than other universities. Should I be worried about housing and struggling financially? And what had/is the university doing to aid the situation?

The problem this year has been 2 bulge years caused by covid and teacher assessed grades- once those years graduate this year and next year the problem will be solved. Durham is also taking less applicants this year and building more colleges in the next few years.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hi,

Nottingham also has big problems with accommodation. I was reading the Nottingham Post (newspaper) yesterday where there was an article about the number of students needing to rent accommodation (56000 between the two universities). They are planning to build another 2100 rooms in the next 3 years.
Hi,

Hello!

As a student now going into their second year, I completely understand your worries. Yes, Durham does have a housing crisis but it is slightly exaggerated. Most houses/flats in Durham are released within the first term, and that causes a panic as everyone is quickly scrambling to sign a house. But don't worry by January, the panic does die down and Rightmove still continues to have houses/flats to view/sign, even all the way till June. There are many places to live in Durham and in the different towns/villages that surround Durham where you will find that rent prices are significantly cheaper than in Durham. And if you do end up settling in one of those towns, the commute is quite easy as there are frequent bus links to Durham with discounted Student tickets.

Hope this helps!

-Ghala

Quick Reply

Latest