The Student Room Group

Confused

Hey, how is it going?

Recently had a bit of a reality check. Taking a 4 year undergrad course and got my results this year. I was originally going for a first, but now I am unsure. The weightings for each year are: 10% for year 1 and 30% for each subsequent year. I got a 74 in my first year, but second year I got 65 and now this year I got a 56 average for all modules. This was very disappointing and I am gutted. This is mainly because I just passed one of my modules (got a 41), while the other modules were 2.1s (60-67). My degree does not allow to 'ignore' a module, so everything counts. So now I have one more year left. As such, I have 3 question:

1) Can I still get a first degree, if I work my ass off in the 4th year and try to be very strategic with my module choices? (Try to average a first in 4th year).

2) How do I get my motivation and willingness to 'try' back? After results day I have been so gutted that it has been hard trying to get to do anything. I know ruminating on something that has been done is useless, but I just cant help it. For the past couple of weeks I have been doing nothing but procrastinating and doing 'absolutely nothing'.

3) Does a first level CFA pass, a high GRE (324) and a few internships help even if I end up with a 2.1 when I apply for masters? I really want to stay at my university for masters, but the pre-requisites are very high (namely a first in an undergraduate degree).

Anyways, my worries may seem a bit petty, but it really really sucks when you work your ass off and end up with something that is way way off your expectations. Thanks a lot!
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, how is it going?

Recently had a bit of a reality check. Taking a 4 year undergrad course and got my results this year. I was originally going for a first, but now I am unsure. The weightings for each year are: 10% for year 1 and 30% for each subsequent year. I got a 74 in my first year, but second year I got 65 and now this year I got a 56 average for all modules. This was very disappointing and I am gutted. This is mainly because I just passed one of my modules (got a 41), while the other modules were 2.1s (60-67). My degree does not allow to 'ignore' a module, so everything counts. So now I have one more year left. As such, I have 3 question:

1) Can I still get a first degree, if I work my ass off in the 4th year and try to be very strategic with my module choices? (Try to average a first in 4th year).

2) How do I get my motivation and willingness to 'try' back? After results day I have been so gutted that it has been hard trying to get to do anything. I know ruminating on something that has been done is useless, but I just cant help it. For the past couple of weeks I have been doing nothing but procrastinating and doing 'absolutely nothing'.

3) Does a first level CFA pass, a high GRE (324) and a few internships help even if I end up with a 2.1 when I apply for masters? I really want to stay at my university for masters, but the pre-requisites are very high (namely a first in an undergraduate degree).

Anyways, my worries may seem a bit petty, but it really really sucks when you work your ass off and end up with something that is way way off your expectations. Thanks a lot!

I can't answer questions 2) and 3), but question 1) is fairly straightforward: Yes. Although you'd need to average 88% next year to achieve it. :eek:

(10% of 74 + 30% of 65 + 30% of 56 + 30% of 88 = 70.1)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending